Need help identifying a tranny by VIN. Vision Mack

Vladislav

Question

I acquired a transmission from a truck which was parted out locally. By the look folks told me it's RTO-16210 or so but the tag is missing and I would like to learn more about it. Mostly the ratios. Hope interweb search will help but I need its model first. I hope it can be tracked by the truck's VIN. Too probably it's original to the truck. Thanks.

VIN:  1M1AE07Y14N020543

rdzeT7axATXo-IM4iG2iliTsATFi7gs3.jpg

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

13 answers to this question

I'm not a Wizard when it comes to all the different Eatons out there. I have seen a lot of those (looks like a 2002 CX-613)  with Eaton FRO16210C. (Metric). not sure if theis helps, but the 16210C has a built in tranny cooler, identifiable by the rectangular cover on the bottom of the tranny, with bolts all around it..  I do know the synchro drive hub is a 62 tooth gear in the 'C' model, and I believe 60 teeth in the 'B' model's,,  just in case you have the back box off..  I hope I helped in some small way..  jojo

• Like 1

Many thanks, guys!

I got myself to where the tranny was stored (laying down on a floor) today. The top cover had METRIC script casted on it and I could see something like a big rectangular cover with bolts at the bottom left of the housing. Aside of that it had two angle fittings with threads for attaching hoses which my guess is for external cooler. The tranny drips oil out of them onto the floor for a while and that's transmission oil definitely not antefreeze or water or whatever else. So puzzle gets into shape like a FRO-16210. But no clue so far it's C or B or anything else if such exists. Can I try identifying by teeth count as Joey mentioned or another way?

Also a question is are there typical weak points I should investigate to determine its condition? I had the top cover removed and saw all gear wheels solid covered with clean oil. Sliding clutches didn't show any crytical wear. A synchro hub could be either seen showing its Hi range side (probably it was shifted in Lo before removing from the truck). And it looked as perfect as new. I couldn't find crytical play of shafts or gears on them. Only excessive rust all over the housing at the outer side and very light oily sweat around the yoke seal.  

IMG_20230306_201122.jpg

Some guys don't think much of the FRO models.  Still a transmission and has regular transmission issues any are prone to. The range valve is under the top cover on these and sometimes if air was contaminated with water (or oil) they tend not to range shift or leak air. There's not much on one that will interchange with other (older) Fuller models. If you do get involved with it, don't be confused by the shifter.  Any Fuller shifter will bolt on, but the end of the lever just goes into the little circular indentation you'll see in the opening on the top cover. It doesn't go into the familiar notched rails the forks are on, you won't even see that in the shifter hole.  They have a first gear somewhere around 12.5/1  (and reverse) and are even jumps throughout . Overdrive is a .74 .  I'm think'n the sliding clutches are finer which is supposed to make them easier to shift ???   Also. I think the PTO gear is the same as any Fuller.      Fuller's one size fits all on the path to automation.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

you nailed it MarkT...  the single shift rail is decent,  there is a cap screw in it that is prone to loosening up, which will stop you from selecting gears.  Whenever I have one of these apart, I remove that bolt and loctite it and put it back, or replace it. May I suggest you do that, and since its on the floor, I would replace the synchronizer and the drive hub in the front of the rear section. also,,, another issue these have is: snapping the snaprings on the range fork. very easy to fix. just buy new snap rings now, and install them. Dont know if you ever had one of these apart, but you have to lift the top shifter cover, in order to remove the back box..  The older ones did not need this step to be done.  stand it up on its nose, for the back box repair, and the back box assembly will drop right on ..  Let us know if you dig in and need guidance..  I have done dozens of these back boxes,  (Most were in the truck), i made tools to do them in-frame. but on the floor is a breeze..  jojo 

P.S.   it looks like a 210C...   the 210B uses the same back box cover. you did see the rectangular oil cooler on the bottom? right??  reminder,,,  16210C has a 62 tooth synchro gear..   You got this.. 

Edited by Joey Mack
Pore cell fone sperring
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips once again.

I looked pics I made when the top cover was removed and saw its overdrive transmission. You can always identify it seeing one gear wheel on the main shaft of lesser OD than the constant mesh one. Which means that gear set is faster than direct. The rest of wheels is larger. So if the B is direct top it turns I've got the C.

I haven't made decition on what to do with that transmission so far. Now I know the ratios and general specific so may spin thoughts on my mind. Maybe to keep it for future projects or maybe just sell it. Actually I have a whole collection of Mack transmissions to choose from for what to play with. And they don't cost anything in my neck of the woods. At the same time Eaton has market and honestly I don't lean toward using off-breed unit in a hobby truck.

From my view..  That tranny is very common and not expensive to repair..  as far as its value, I cant say..  here in the U.S. I could see selling it as-is for maybe $1,000.00... I guess, i'm saying that you wont sell it and have enough money to retire... :) 

It seems like collecting stuff like that may supply me with retirenment :) Sure a bit weak idea but I see it's better than rely on help from my government. Local ads offer such trannies starting from $US 1.5-2K. I'm not sure they are all fine and people who sell them are aware of what a mech gearbox by its matter is at all. So I guess if I represent the really fine condition of the unit and pinstripe the outside a bit (maybe sandblast and brush paint) I have chances to accuire 2-2.5K. And if I continue being lazy to start prepping it for the market West sanctions would make their work and sky rocket used transmission prices :):)

• Haha 1

Well,,  $2k U.S. sounds good.. I know some say that tranny is just OK..  I had a fleet of 28 trucks, half of the Macks were 15210C and 16210C, and all the Frieghtliner's were too. My point is, they held up pretty good, given we had many drivers. I did a lot of synchro replacements in them, along with range fork snap rings, shift rail bolts and shuttle valves, but the main box held up really good..  Just my 2 cents...  Jojo

• Like 1

Got the info guys, thanks.

There are still relatively many American trucks cruising the roads of the country. The majority is Freigthliners, IH, Volvos, a bit of Kenworth and Pete and a few drops of Vision Macks. This way trannies I see for sale are mostly RTO's which cost nearly $700 and Meritors I didn't get familiar with. My guess they're automatics. Or more correctly, automatized. Don't remember ever seen Allisson offered for sale. FRO's take they share too but they're fewer in number, probaly were taken off newer trucks which are more on the road so far than parted out.

Personally (let me boast a bit) I accuired Mack TRTXL-1070 12 speed, 2 T2070, 2 T2090 taken off my trucks (one is under restoration at the moment), one more operational T2090 in a truck I may use for projects, 2 T1078 5-speed which even don't worth count on my mind (one in a truck), T2060, T2070 and X-1076(?) 6 speed in trucks accompanied with RTO 9-speed in a truck I'm going to get rid of (the tranny, not the truck). So that FRO dosn't seem having good chances to accommodate in one of my Macks. But who knows :)