6 speed countershaft cap gasket.

Full Floater

29 minutes ago, Full Floater said:

Excuse the dirt and grime, the steam cleaner is coming out.

In the bellhousing side of the 107 6 speed, I have one of these square caps (countershaft caps?) leaking a bit.  Is there a gasket kit for these?

20230208_190730.jpg

Bro Its an oring! You can improvise with A good RTV silicone  sealant you'll have to drain and dri everything ! put rtv on each bolt as you install them!

just a thought ; if you go through the task of cleaning/ draining  trans to remove cover, have a new o-ring and good RTV for reinstall.  that's of course  high hopes the o-rings aren't on the list of back  order parts .  down time of unit also a factor.  no new oring, leak bad   have to repair now ;;then good rtv to the rescue. as always :: clean is the clue.

12 minutes ago, terry said:

If you don’t want to drain it, tip it up so gear oil is in the other end.   Terry:MackLogo:

Great suggestion.   It's due for an oil change anyway, since it's a new to me trans and I have no record of service history.  So this is my calling 

Edited by Full Floater

Yes to the oring and RTV..  You may get lucky and the oring will come out. Then if you cant get a new one you can fill the groove with RTV and push the o-ring back in place..  Do you have a shop near buy that rebuilds Hyd. Cylinders? If so, and it's like the shop I use, they will have a wall of o-rings. They even sell rolls and the glue to build an oring.  You could go that route, and install the o-ring stock in the groove, and cut it to fit and add a drop of the glue right in the groove..  Or you could just clean it really good and RTV it..  I believe FJH said that..   :) Jojo

• Like 1

Need to remember when putting sealant on things like this not to over do it as th e sealant will get forced out inside and the gets pumped thru oil galleries in the box 

When this happens the whole box needs to come apart and the sealant needs to be removed from everywhere 

Just clean it up spotless and wait for it to dry and run a bead around the out side as best as you can, wait fpr that to cure before adding oil

Paul 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Full Floater said:

Working on it now.  The old oring came out just fine, with no breaks.   I cleaned everything up spotless and I think I will run very light RTV in the oring galley, re-install the oring and also a very light bead along the outside edge of the cover.  

Should I use thread sealer instead of RTV on the bolt threads?

It will be fine! Rtv is fine!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

if it's getting "an oil change (trans fluid)"   did you pull the side plug and check magnet for foreign objects == they still have magnets don't they ???? never did a tipping o=ring repair. darn doesn't that have to almost stand on it's ass/??

Depends on which o ring that needs repaired, Yeah the magnet is on the opposite side of fill plug   terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

if it's getting "an oil change (trans fluid)"   did you pull the side plug and check magnet for foreign objects == they still have magnets don't they ???? never did a tipping o=ring repair. darn doesn't that have to almost stand on it's ass/??

I did pull the fill plugs (both sides) and yes they both had metal particulate on them, along with the magnetic drain plug.   They all were magnetic. 

I found out that its a bit of a bugger to get fluid back into these things as the fill hose has to be shoved forward quite a bit in order to allow the oil to actually flow down into an opening, instead of splashing right back out of the fill hole.

1 hour ago, Full Floater said:

I did pull the fill plugs (both sides) and yes they both had metal particulate on them, along with the magnetic drain plug.   They all were magnetic. 

I found out that its a bit of a bugger to get fluid back into these things as the fill hose has to be shoved forward quite a bit in order to allow the oil to actually flow down into an opening, instead of splashing right back out of the fill hole.

If you try to fill up to plug on right side you will be way over filled.    terry:MackLogo:  as mechohaulic said it has the trough for metal pieces.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

side with magnetic plug really isn't for filling. inside there is a troth which catches oil to bring up foreign objects. that's main reason you had challenge to use as filler hole. opposite side is full open to fill.

Mmm, in my case; both sides had a trough just on the inside of the filler hole.  Identical on both sides and they both had an opening to which I could shove a hose, toward the bellhousing of the trough.   I triple confirmed that the situation was the same on both sides