Rear axle, swap it( add air ride too).  The front will take more effort, depending on what axle it has.  Like my axle(FA517) has no budd hub that can swap to it.  Been there, tried that.  Not sure about the lighter front axles.  Finding a B model budd front axle is slim pickings unless you get lucky.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

There are some members here that have used a freightliner fld axle I did some measuring and the spring mounts are off by half an in and it’s a little wider but I wouldn’t mind the tires being closer to the fenders I found a few hub pilot ones but don’t want to drop 900 bucks for a used axle I only got 250 in the tandem air ride I added to my b model

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

14 hours ago, Mean Green said:

I have found if you can get a paper title that’s for the same model I have seen repo door vin tags for sale

Mean Green, do you have photos of your avatar truck on here? Judging by that little picture, it's a nice looking truck.

On 12/31/2022 at 5:19 PM, Puller270 said:

I'd like to change out the 10/20 tires on b61 to bud rims any suggestions where I start looking for hubs

I swapped out the rear axle to one from a freight liner and for the front I got the hubs from a newer Mack (but any truck should work) and modified them to accept the bearings on the B-61 axle. I also had to put thicker lining on the brake shoes and turn down the new brake drums a bit. 

• Like 1

license to kill the only thing I worry about all the modifying and cutting and thicker linings is what to do if something fails or wears out I’m having a hard time finding tie rod ends now and if I swap in a different front axle new parts should be available and even reasonable priced junk yard parts could be had I would go hub pilot or budd don’t mater to me just trying to stay in a budget lol

To be fair, if you have to hire all the Machine work the conversion would get quite pricey. As far as wear goes, even if I was a kid still I don’t think I would live long enough to wear out a set of brake shoes and if I did I would just have them relined and same with the drums. Zero chance I could ever wear them out but if I did just do the same as I did the first time. 

Edited by Licensed to kill
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

There was a B model budd front axle w/brakes that sold at ATHS convention auction last summer.  I missed out, but know who got it.  I told him I want first dibs if he doesn't use it.  I've been looking for 20 yrs.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

It’s cause we are east coast every thing was Dayton back in the day we had a fleet of ford ltl 9000 back in the day and ended up changing them to hub pilot it was just hub and drum change back then we kept breaking the flange on the rears and studs in the front 

Not the easiest swap to do, but it can be done. Main problem, as you're finding out, is availability. Locating a set of hubs, front or rear, can be tough. I left the Dayton hubs on my B42, but swapped the rims to 22.5" on the FA505 axle. I like the look and the B model chrome hubcaps. On my B73 with a FA507 axle, I wanted to put Budd hubs on to run Alcoa rims because it has a lot of aluminum and stainless and I wanted that look. It was a whole separate project to do it, with a whole other project to add brake drums to the front hubs as they came off a truck without them. Matching up the the hubs to fit the axle/spindle arrangement can be problematic. It can be very time consuming tracking everything down and making sure it'll all fit.

My best advice would be to be patient and network through everybody you know and sites like this. Be adamant and keep asking everywhere you go about them. Some will surface. As others have stated, you can also work an axle swap to make it happen.

IMG_2807.jpg

IMG_2898.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feed back. I have aline on some 22.5 Dayton Tim for mean time and will work on acquiring pilot hubs as time goes it needs alot of work. Replumb and wire some led lights that look appropriate it's going to be used around Grammys with fifth wheel for hay and grain.