Banjo Bolts & Injector Cups

Todd71106
Go to solution Solved by Onyx610,

Way out of my depth here on a modern motor so everyone laugh your head off at my stupidity 

If soot is getting into the fuel I would think combustion is leaking into the fuel

If injectors and cups have been done and didn't leak soot in before hand surely that would suggest were the soot is coming from

Dunno I'm a bit lost for words after reading all of this again 

Paul

I wonder if the coolant is sooty too?? Seems to me there are a lot of shops doing these repairs, by way of watching a YouTube video, rather than having real world experience. I would like to think there was an old timer teaching the new guys how to clean parts, and work neatly, and check tolerances, and such.  But I think it's more like,.  Just get it together so we can bill the job...... I read too many stories here about MP repairs that didn't fix it..  Just my crappy opinion..  jojo

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Sure if the injector(s) are loose they won’t be sealing. Also if they used old injectors and they weren’t ok to re use this could happen as well. 

No comment!said my piece earlier! Experience means a lot!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I gave my crappy opinion..  FJH..       jojo

You did! There may be an off chance the injectors could be faulty however  I am now quite distanced from this now it’s been a year away from all the political bs and rumours of failures that said Cummins  isx  used to have issues with carbon guess its possible on the Volvo trash as well!

just sayin!

after reading the last three pages of this topic, SO DA-M glad I'm retired!  I remember towing in a R685 yrs back for a major company. mack management convinced the owners the engine was blown. oil all over air cleaner area. reality it ran backwards for minute when backing down ramp bumped the dock.  reading this update dealers change parts half-ass is seemingly way worse.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

sometimes I wish I was 20 years younger with a 2 bay drive through truck shop..  I would probaly have 3 good guys working with me, and we would be making a good living  HELPING truck owners keep trucking..  jojo

2 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

sometimes I wish I was 20 years younger with a 2 bay drive through truck shop..  I would probaly have 3 good guys working with me, and we would be making a good living  HELPING truck owners keep trucking..  jojo

You would be hard pressed to find any one with your work ethic these days! Very  very few and far between!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fjh said:

You would be hard pressed to find any one with your work ethic these days! Very  very few and far between!

That’s because MEN are a dying breed! Also todays mentality is “just get the check” Not many take pride in their work and strive to do a good job. 

• Like 2

Finally got the truck back, and after 1 day of hauling 130 barrels of salt water around  the issue seems to have been resolved. 
A couple weeks before I had the injectors and cups replaced, I replaced the fuel filter housing with a cheap Chinese Amazon replacement. The primer pump on the cheap replacement would not fully seal when locked down. This caused the loss of fuel pressure under load. Luckily I still had the original Mack housing. They swapped it back out and the fuel pressure issues were gone. I saved $200 on the part but lost thousands in down time. I won’t be replacing any critical parts with cheap Chinese stuff ever again !

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Yes lesson learned, can’t go with cheap parts on these engines. Always buy Mack parts. It will save a lot of money and headaches in the long run. 

Unfortunately true at least you got a bit of a warranty! That said, the parts from Volvo/ Mack are sourced  from anywhere in the world its a United nations engine ! That pump may have been made at the very same place and you got a bad one! Thanx for posting a fix! But where is the soot coming from or did I read something wrong? you have two different issues here! ?

Just sayin!

1 hour ago, fjh said:But where is the soot coming from or did I read something wrong? you have two different issues here! ?

Just sayin!

They said they did not see any soot in the fuel tanks. what I saw it coming through the return line was a lot of diesel fuel evidently. He said there was some algae in the bottom of my fuel tanks.

2 hours ago, Todd71106 said:

They said they did not see any soot in the fuel tanks. what I saw it coming through the return line was a lot of diesel fuel evidently. He said there was some algae in the bottom of my fuel tanks.

Ahh I see! Very confused by this! that shit should be being filtered out! to my way of thinking! not returned to the fuel tank! 

what ever!  hope it stays running good for you that's all you can hope for!

23 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Yes lesson learned, can’t go with cheap parts on these engines. Always buy Mack parts. It will save a lot of money and headaches in the long run. 

I just got done tonight  replacing a aftermarket injector cup in a Volvo D13/MP8. Truck would barely run and missing like crazy. Had coolant in the fuel and fuel in the coolant. Pulled the injectors and  pressurized the cooling system. #6 cup was bubbling around top o-ring. Pulled the cup and the o-ring was deformed and flattened. This allowed coolant and fuel to mix. Cup looked weird and had P3614 stamped on it. I’ve put hundreds of cups in and never saw one like this . 

Edited by Mackpro
  • Like 1