RB steering box relief valve not working

rickm

Question

14 answers to this question

My guess is the relief valve bypasses the fluid when you reach the turn stops. You continue "turning the wheel" so directing the gear to continue turning. What means applying pressure to the piston. But piston (together with Pitman arm etc) can't go since the knuckle is against the stop. So pressure doesn't have a way to go and would blow the lines. It opens the relief valve instead and bypasses back to the tank.

• Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

My new concern is that the stops have been removed from behind the wheels..  something is gonna break on the job site..  please correct me if I'm wrong..  I always thought the stops were there to help relieve stress from the steering gear when the wheels are turned all the way. Otherwise, tight turns could pull the inner wheel out too much.. 

Edited by Joey Mack
Poor sperring
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rickm said:

We are trying to get it to hit valves before it hits the stops, took stops completely out and steering stops almost in the same place but cant hear it bypass 

Remove the screws an see if the ends are still intact! The tips may be broken off!

As Joey said screwing them out let’s the steering gear turn farther. There is one on top and one on the bottom. Depending on the location of the sector shaft determines which poppet screw does either right or left turn . If you back them out to far they will fly out due to the pressure. They have O-rings on the ends to keep them from leaking. Most newer boxes have AUTO  casted on the housing and are auto setting poppets . If it’s a Sheppard box , all the manuals are on R H Sheppard website 

1. Your steering gear has manual plungers if you can back them out of the plunger hole with a small flat-bladed screwdriver.
2. Manual plungers are turned all the way in from the factory for minimum wheel cut. Adjust the plungers IN to decrease wheel cut, adjust OUT to increase wheel cut. Use a long, flat bladed screwdriver.
3. Start the engine and let it run at idle speed. Ensure the axle stops are set for maximum wheel cut with a minimum of 1" clearance between the tire and any part of the chassis.
4. With the full weight of the vehicle on the ground, have a helper turn the steer tires full left. Check the gap between the axle stop and the axle on the left steer tire. If it is greater than 1/8" adjust the plunger out (counter clockwise). Adjust the plunger in the end of the gear which the piston has moved toward. If the stop is touching the axle try turning the plunger in then recheck it.
NOTE: The plungers are fine thread so it may take several turns to get them properly adjusted. Do not back the head of the plunger out past flush with the end of the hole. The plunger could be ejected from the gear.
5. After making an adjustment, center the steering and recheck the gap at the axle stop.
6. When the steer tires have been turned back and forth about 4 times, rubber will accumulate under the tires and make setting the plungers difficult. Roll the vehicle ahead or back about 1 foot and recheck the gap at the axle stop.
7. Turn the steer tires full right and adjust the opposite plunger for the gap at the right side axle stop using the same procedure.
Once the relief plungers are set, no further adjustment is necessary unless tire size or wheel offset is changed.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2022 at 3:42 PM, rickm said:

Are you saying take the relief valves out to see if they are broke? We haven't done that yet!

Our problem is no matter if the relief valve screws are all the way in or all the way out it doesn't affect the steering at all. I took one out and it didn't look broke . This is the same box that we have on other RBs and granites that we have and had this problem before on both!