2000 RD 690S EM7-300 Starts, Idle's then shutdowns along with non-working guages.

htx-em7-2000
Go to solution Solved by Joey Mack,

As the title states. EM7-300 Starts idling for a minute or so normally then shuts down along with no thermostat, battery volt, RPMs, and Road speed gauges don't respond.

I also failed to mention that we were getting the flashing red light that does the ENGINE PROTECTION/SHUTDOWN

We've replaced the engine speed sensor, thermostat gauge sensor, and ECU temperature sensor checked ohms & resistance, and used a wire jumper on the wiring harness for other sensors.

Also took the dash apart to find out the yellow engine malfunction light is not installed and found it has a GPS system because we bought it from a company.

Is any more information or pictures needed from me available?

Thank you
From Houston TX

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

Edited by htx-em7-2000

What is the oil pressure gauge showing..?   That model has a sensor and an oil line to the gauge..  DO NOT....  load the ECM parts cannon!!!  I bet this issue is simple...  Check the grounds behind the dash behind the gauges and near the fuse panel,,,  the ground bolt on the block in front of the starter, the ground on the frame behind the left steer tire,, the ground breaker on the firewall next to the starter relay...  there may be an accessory relay under the ashtray, that needs it connections checked..   None of these checks require's you to open your wallet...   Jojo

that gauge is hydraulic,  GOOD..  there is a sensor on top of the oil filter pad above the centrifugal filter..  If it is bad, it will tell the EECU that oil pressure is 10 PSI or less, then 10 seconds later , the engine shuts down..   jojo

Hmmmm..   Something doesnt match up here..   I have to admit,,,,  I don't recall that engine arrangement in a 2000 model..  Maybe you have a late build for that year..  I'm sorry, but I will wait for some other post's, to see where this goes.  I thought that series came out in 2002...  jojo

12 hours ago, htx-em7-2000 said:

The oil gauge does respond and this is what it shows when I turn it on and shutdowns shortly after.

I researched for the past week before posting about this and read your comments on how to post correctly.

We will follow your instructions and report back after.

Thanks Jojo.

IMG_2098.JPG

So can you get that malfunction light to work that would help some! If it shuts down after a Minute of run time I believe you could have a faulty oil or temp or low water sensor!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 880joe said:

Joey are you sure that's not an etech with left side ecm? That ecm number is the newest number my dealer said would fit my early etechs

I'm not sure at times..  What has my attention is the centrimax filter style and the plate type oil cooler..  I would have expected the hanging filter,  and a bundle type oil cooler..  I also dont see the oil pressure sensor, installed into the filter pad... as far as the ECM,,  I thought they were on the right under the heat shield below the turbo, and got moved to the left side due to heat off the exhaust?  I guess i'm getting rusty fast, since I have been away from them for a few months..   :)  Jojo

yes, but it was a 2002 engine..  I guess i missed those days at school..  :)   Thanks for clearing that up.  I really thought it was a CCRS...  I have been confused before, when it comes to what year a change was made..  Jojo

2001 saw the changeover to the left side ecm I believe. With info provided initially I'm thinking this is a simple power issue. He said engine dies, as well as battery voltage.  This tells me there's a power supply fault. Do these use the relay under the ash tray for power like the pre-Etech R models?

Check your ignition switch circuitry.