2000 RD 690S EM7-300 Starts, Idle's then shutdowns along with non-working guages.

htx-em7-2000
Go to solution Solved by Joey Mack,

they are around $40.00,,,  buy one...   Install it into that plugged port on the oil filter pad, and take a true reading..  You need a ( 0-150 PSI ) oil filled gauge..  and a few small fittings to make it fit..  So for about $50.00,,,,  You will have a very important tool...   jojo

• 3 weeks later...

I have been shopping around for the Oil Pressure Sensor for MACK E7 64MT2115.  My local MACK quotes me $200 out the door. But the links below have it for half the price and want to make sure they are MACK and not aftermarket.

We really prefer to purchase a MACK sensor than an aftermarket. Unless yall advise differently.

https://www.woodlineparts.com/products/pai-fsu-0558-mack-64mt2114-oil-pressure-sensor-e7-e-tech-aset

https://www.heavydutypros.com/mack-oil-sensor-64mt2114.aspx

https://advancetruckpartsusa.com/products/64mt2114-oil-pressure-sensor-for-mack-volvo

11 hours ago, htx-em7-2000 said:

I have been shopping around for the Oil Pressure Sensor for MACK E7 64MT2115.  My local MACK quotes me $200 out the door. But the links below have it for half the price and want to make sure they are MACK and not aftermarket.

We really prefer to purchase a MACK sensor than an aftermarket. Unless yall advise differently.

https://www.woodlineparts.com/products/pai-fsu-0558-mack-64mt2114-oil-pressure-sensor-e7-e-tech-aset

https://www.heavydutypros.com/mack-oil-sensor-64mt2114.aspx

https://advancetruckpartsusa.com/products/64mt2114-oil-pressure-sensor-for-mack-volvo

They will be after market! How ever most of the mack  sensor parts are  made in Mexico ! Pick your straw!

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2022 at 10:38 AM, Joey Mack said:

I'm just curious.... Were you able to put a gauge on it to get a true oil pressure reading?? Jojo

No we did not. We both have been busy with work.

He ended up buying it at the Dealer.

And still has the same problem of it shutting down after a minute or so with red shutdown light blasting the whole time

Change the bulb in your lightning bolt.... You could have engine codes that we can diagnose through that light if you can get it to work....

Key on, if the lightning bolt is in, you press and hold the cruise set/decel button until it goes out. Then count the flashes to get a 2 digit blink code. Press the set/decel again, if there's another code it'll spit it out too. Keep doing that til it starts repeating itself.

Note that you perform this procedure with the cruise control "off".  Engine can be running, or not.  Tell us the blink code and we can stop guessing.

• Thanks 1

I don’t know if I mentioned this. Common problem with R series trucks with ETECH engines. The VECU ( vechicle electronic control unit) is mounted on the kick panel in front of the passenger seat down by the floor. The factory mounts it to the kick panel with the electrical connectors facing up . The windshields are bad about leaking and when the RH side does it drips right down onto the VECU. I have found the VECU’s to actually have water in them. This causes all kinds of crazy problems. Issues include having to crank engine 8-10 seconds before it will start, various guages not working, engine won’t die when you turn the key off until 8-10 seconds pass, low power/ sluggish response. This is because the high speed J-1939 data  link is down and it’s running off the slow/low speed data link J-1587 so everything is responding super slow. 

Edited by Mackpro
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

so when you turn the key to the ;on; position, that bulb doesnt light up during the self test?  

we had a technician come out when all this started and the only code that showed was an engine speed sensor. That was changed and the problem continued of turning on and shutting off moments later.

6 hours ago, Mackpro said:

I don’t know if I mentioned this. Common problem with R series trucks with ETECH engines. The VECU ( vechicle electronic control unit) is mounted on the kick panel in front of the passenger seat down by the floor. The factory mounts it to the kick panel with the electrical connectors facing up . The windshields are bad about leaking and when the RH side does it drips right down onto the VECU. I have found the VECU’s to actually have water in them. This causes all kinds of crazy problems. Issues include having to crank engine 8-10 seconds before it will start, various guages not working, engine won’t die when you turn the key off until 8-10 seconds pass, low power/ sluggish response. This is because the high speed J-1939 data  link is down and it’s running off the slow/low speed data link J-1587 so everything is responding super slow. 

Would i remove that black panel to locate VECU

IMG-3800.jpg

Edited by htx-em7-2000

Disconnected all the terminals and found that J3 terminal of the VECU when plugged back in 1 by 1 was responsible for the red shutdown light to function.

Now when we turn the key the red shutdown light doesnt stop ringing. It lets us turn it on but shuts down seconds after.

What did yall want us to do with VECU

IMG_3801.jpg

• Solution

one thing you can do is use your DVOM, and find a good ground on the cab, and check for continuity on all the pins in the J-3 plug..  that may point you towards a short to ground..  are you familiar with how to read the wire codes on the white wires?   It is actually easy to do, and really helps when you are checking the wires at a distance from the VECU..   jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
poor sperring..

Was the VECU with the connectors facing up or down? Was there any green or white corrosion in any of the 3 connectors of the VECU? Inspect the green and yellow twisted wires that go between the VECU and the ABS module beside it . The green and yellow wires are the high speed data links . 

Edited by Mackpro
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...