R model compressor govenor

Paulie

Question

Bought truck and realized there was no air dryer on truck.  I can see where they disconnected the lines.  There is the main line that goes in and out. Then there’s a smaller line that runs up to air compressor but is disconnected.  Believe it goes to the air governor.  Does anyone have a picture of compressor and govenor so I can see how to connect.  

Edited by Paulie
Spelling

6 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Air dryer lines are there. They put a 1/2 inch fitting and connected them together. The 1/4 line is disconnected at left on frame where air dryer was suppose to be.  Other end by compressor is also disconnected, not sure where to hook up. Your saying to run to 1/4 inch line to govenor?  

check the diagram jojo posted. do you have a dryer installed yet?

the 1/2" connectors was probably a by-pass, due to an issue... just look at the diagram I posted and follow it...  it easy after you stand back and look at it..   jojo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

gov. is controlled by 1/4 lines...  

OK class the teacher is testing us to see who is paying attention.  the governor controls the operation OF the air dryer by the 1/4 in line. when the governor reaches  set pressure (120lbs) it discharges air to the dryer by the 1/4 in line  which in turn opens the discharge port of the dryer exhausting water/ moisture  , this pertains to governors mounted on the compressor. 

• Like 1

The only other issue you’re gonna have is that when you decide on a dryer you’re gonna have to get the correct fittings for the lines as well. You have to transfer the old ones over whenever you get a new one. 

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 1

interesting if you take the time to read the technical specs on dryer install. the proper heat resistant line from compressor to dryer;; so many feet max from compressor to dryer ;; downward slope to air tank and a few others, yet check dryer installs from factory ; not many specs followed .  ease of install seems the way.

• Like 1

The longer the braided steel line the better going down to the air dryer. And having an air dryer I always drained the tanks every day I run the truck and I preached that to drivers for years and if you let the air dryer's filter get plugged you aren't moving the truck.

• Like 1

You make me laugh Mech..  do you think the diagram I posted is good enough info?  Is it missing something?  Jojo :)

Edited by Joey Mack
Poor sperring

I like seeing those old MOTOR manuals.  When I was a young-un, those were the ones we much preferred over the Chilton's.

Most the new automotive manuals you get now at the parts houses are a joke.  Too many places they say, "not serviceable" or "see your dealer".  If I wanted to see the dealer, I wouldn't have bought your stupid manual!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

3 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

You make me laugh Mech..  do you think the diagram I posted is good enough info?  Is it missing something?  Jojo :)

I know the diagram You posted was perfect. i was breaking b-lls in a positive comical way in regards  to the statement 1/4 in line controls governor. which is 100% correct if as in this case the governor is mounted remotely from the air compressor. oldies like me are use to the more common of the day governors mounted to compressor. thus the 1/4 in line from gov to air dryer controls the air dryer.😁

From the udder side of the world, I know nothing about these air dryers but experience tells me that whether it is the middle of summer and over 100 in the shade every day or freezing the bahjeebers off I get water out the tanks when I drain them

If I'm up in the tropics in the wet I pull the drains and let the water out every time I pull up and theres heaps of water

Would these new fangled dryers stop this and give me clean dry air ?

These threads are interesting to people from the other side of the world were air dryers werent the norm

Paul

That looks a little bit like a 700, which is slightly different from the 550 I had on mine.

Is that the unloader port, where the red arrow is pointing?

If it is a 700, here's a link that might help.

https://n0c357rmy1njbuit2friqwu.blob.core.windows.net/documents/R7UJunINI0EBhB_SD-01-335_US_000.pdf

image.png.1d46586bf8635ae95bdefb4f77a3b05a.png

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I would say.... Just keep doing what you do Paul..  even with air dryers water still collects, and guys just expect them to work forever, and they don't... Even with a dryer, when you pull the tank vent cables, water still comes out,. Not a whole lot but some..  just my 2 cents... Jojo

• Like 1