Delco 39mt starter on 675 engines?

Full Floater

Is anyone running a delco-remy 39mt on Mack 675's?   I run them on other engines and they have been great and they are smaller and lighter, making them easier to install remove.

I have a 1975 235 that needs a starter, I think im going to try the 39mt instead of the 42mt.  At the very least it will be an easier install.

The Delco 308 39MT 11 tooth starter, is a good alternative.  Lighter, and less amp draw..   Typically not rebuildable in some ways, because there is no nose bearing.. I do know that the little relay can fail, but they run about $30.00, and is easy to replace, just keep tabs on the polarity..      I like them..     I try to get my customers to use them instead of the 42 MT..   Of course, the 42 MT and the 50 MT are great starter's..  Just my opinion..  jojo

• Like 1

Sounds good.

I will order one tomorrow and will report back with fitment results.  This particular truck is a positive ground truck.  Haven't decided if im going to convert to Neg ground now or later.   I do believe starters don't care about polarity, just the relay does.

I have used the 39mt's on everything from 466 IH to 855 Cummins and they seemed to hold up well.  Even with the stubborn 855's on a cold morning

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Full Floater said:

Sounds good.

I will order one tomorrow and will report back with fitment results.  This particular truck is a positive ground truck.  Haven't decided if im going to convert to Neg ground now or later.   I do believe starters don't care about polarity, just the relay does.

I have used the 39mt's on everything from 466 IH to 855 Cummins and they seemed to hold up well.  Even with the stubborn 855's on a cold morning

Don't let them talk you into the road choice copy cat stuff buy the the genuine Delco!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

Got the 39MT in.   Will get a pic later today.   Much easier to handle then the 40 or 42MT.  Probably still have to remove one of the oil filters for install (which I already had out) but so what.   It spins the engine over plenty fast.  The truck has also lost it's prime, so had to do some long cranking and it did just fine.

This truck is positive ground so I did bypass the neg ground solenoid that was on the 39mt and wired the trigger wire to an existing solenoid already on the truck for the old starter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...