My b-42 must have had the diesel conversion at some point in it's life a couple of years ago I stuck a 1980 260 hp 673 under the hood with a double over triplex the radiator does a fine job no overheating, and the truck really cruses out on the highway.

I would suggest the large radiator if you are dealing with much weight especially in hill country. The large radiator has a snorkel neck in top tank to fill the radiator. My old Draggin Wagon had the small radiator - no problems bobtail even in mountains. Hook camper to it, grossing around 25-26,000, really had to watch temp  

I put a 237 in mine also.  Simple swap from the 673.  Just changed waterpump and balancer.  I still run a triplex.  I have the big radiator and does fine with my 30k lbs.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

7 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

I put a 237 in mine also.  Simple swap from the 673.  Just changed waterpump and balancer.  I still run a triplex.  I have the big radiator and does fine with my 30k lbs.

Mine is the gas 331 I know the water pump neck is longer on the 237 but why dose the balancer have to be changed.  clearance issues?

My balancer was missing on 237, but I think it is too long and will hit crossmember.  The R model has much more room behind the radiator and the pulleys stick out farther.  Thus the waterpump needs changed also.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

With much advice from Freightrain, I did the ENDLT 673 to 675 237hp swap on my B61, also.  Still putting the finishing touches on it, but am now able to do some "shake down" runs in it.  Now, I need to swap the rear end gear to get better highway speed.  Don't mean to highjack this thread, but has anyone else done that?

Edited by txjcfsr
spelling
  • Like 1

I swapped my carrier from a CRS-84 to a CRD-117(From a R Model) with a 4.62 ratio. Very easy swap into the rear end housing, then a little driveshaft work to make that fit. The 4.62 was perfect for me, 80 mph top end and at 65 I’m turning about 17-1800 rpms. I have a double overdrive Triplex in it and that gives me good flexibility from local roads to highway. You just need to figure out your ratios, tire diameters to get your cruising rpm right for the speed your looking for. The R model carriers are plentiful and have a wide selection of ratios. Plus, they’re newer and parts are more readily available.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, txjcfsr said:

With much advice from Freightrain, I did the ENDLT 673 to 675 237hp swap on my B61, also.  Still putting the finishing touches on it, but am now able to do some "shake down" runs in it.  Now, I need to swap the rear end gear to get better highway speed.  Don't mean to highjack this thread, but has anyone else done that?

My truck is still under construction but I swapped out the original rear for rear from. 2016 Freightshaker with air liner suspension. Mine has a 2.53 gear and I will be running a Mack 6spd (no OD) so at 65MPH I will be turning 1250RPM with the 11R 22.5's. The engine (2 valve E6 350) produces max torque @ 1250RPM so, to my way of thinking should get it's best fuel economy there as it will just be lumbering along making more torque than required so not working hard at all. Mine is a single axle only intended to pull my holiday trailer. 

• Like 1

Mine had 4.62 also, now 4.11.  I did the gears before the 237 install or I would have stayed with the 3.70s that were in the air ride rear when I bought it.  

Single od triplex, 4.10, 11r22, runs 65 at around 1800.

Larry