THE GREEN HORNET

1 hour ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Do you know the fate of the truck or has it been lost time? 

Paul 

Unfortunately because of Some Fly by night drivers my Grandparents ended up having to sell the trucks off around the late 70's. The Brockway was the last truck sold and it was used by a guy in Buckland,Ohio as a dump truck until the frame rusted in two and the truck had to be scrapped. 

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

nice looking brockway. the brockway had the same class act appearance as the Mack B-75 series. 

I wish I knew what year the truck was. I would love to find another and make a replica. I've already named my 2015 Mack chu613 "The Green Hornet" in Memory of my Grandparents and I'm having a custom name plate made to hang on the bottom of the grille but to find an exact model truck would mean the world to me. 

• Like 1

The Green Hornet looks to me to be a 200 series ( 257 or 260 ? )  Probably from the early or mid 1960s.  There's a show in Cortland New York in August where you can find many examples of trucks similar to it...not to mention the guys who are into them.  They were quite the ride in their day.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark T said:

The Green Hornet looks to me to be a 200 series ( 257 or 260 ? )  Probably from the early or mid 1960s.  There's a show in Cortland New York in August where you can find many examples of trucks similar to it...not to mention the guys who are into them.  They were quite the ride in their day.

Boy I sure would love to find one

I will agree with Mark, Mid 60's model 257 as it looks to have a setback front axle?? I think the 260 was set forward?? Hauling steel it probably had a 220 or 250 Cummins?? Although in that era Brockway was just starting to install Detroits. Do you have any old paperwork which might have the serial number?? If so Tom Millard (Oldspwr) can narrow it down more.

Edited by Brocky

Brocky

006, You did not list your location, If you are within traveling distance of Cortland. The Brockway Weekend, the second weekend of August, in Cortland NY is the largest brand specific truck show (120 to 150 Brockways) in the country located at the Central NY Living history Museum on Route US 11 between Cortland and Homer in the beautiful central Finger Lakes region of New York State. There are a total of 4 museums located in this complex: Brockway, Tractors of yesteryear, Hometown with a lot of military and railroad stuff, and the newly established Firehouse which I have not seen yet.

Friday is unloading, "Husky Drive" tour to lunch at Greek Peak ski center, fundraiser dinner, auction, all day BS session, and fireworks. Saturday is a parade from the museum to the static display area. This year it will be in a new location in Homer NY as Main Street in downtown Cortland is under construction.

Edited by Brocky
  • Like 1

Brocky

On 6/1/2022 at 8:03 PM, mechohaulic said:

hopefully "Mr Brockway" on this forum will join in with his knowledge.  picture looks like truck still running the older style cab, not the mack cab. don't remember   the change-over yr.

Brockway started using the Sheller Globe Mack R model cab in about 1975 +/- 6 months. Although they looked alike, and were made by the same company, they are not totally interchangeable. The cowl section was different because Brockway was still using a metal  butterfly hood and Mack a fiberglass tilt hood.

• Thanks 1

Brocky

2 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I know nothing about Brockways (may have already mentioned that) Im guessing this was bogie drive, do you remember if that was the case ?

Paul 

Aussie "bogie drive" is the same as American Tandem or twin screw drive.. 

Paul you are probably right although some steel haulers used a tag axle to save tare weight.. Dead axle in Aussie terms.

• Like 1

Brocky

2 hours ago, Brocky said:

Brockway started using the Sheller Globe Mack R model cab in about 1975 +/- 6 months. Although they looked alike, and were made by the same company, they are not totally interchangeable. The cowl section was different because Brockway was still using a metal  butterfly hood and Mack a fiberglass tilt hood.

5 hours ago, Brocky said:

I will agree with Mark, Mid 60's model 257 as it looks to have a setback front axle?? I think the 260 was set forward?? Hauling steel it probably had a 220 or 250 Cummins?? Although in that era Brockway was just starting to install Detroits. Do you have any old paperwork which might have the serial number?? If so Tom Millard (Oldspwr) can narrow it down more.

I unfortunately don't have any Paperwork on the truck and my Grandpa passed away about 6yrs ago. I wish I would've found this forum when he was Still alive 😢 😔. I believe this truck had a Detroit in it and Had a Joe dog tandem set up on the rear. 

006, It will be hard to tell the exact year from those photos as the 200 series Brockway lasted for about 10 years with not many small changes..

Paul, American Joe Dog equals an Aussie "Jeep"

• Like 1

Brocky

22 minutes ago, Brocky said:

006, It will be hard to tell the exact year from those photos as the 200 series Brockway lasted for about 10 years with not many small changes..

Paul, American Joe Dog equals an Aussie "Jeep"

I'm going to try and research the plate number and see what I come up with. 

• Like 2