Maxidyne Engines

mackcat12

Has anyone heard that Mack is doing away with the Maxidyne engine’s and having only one engine?  A friend of mine ordered a new granite dump truck with a MP8 455M engine and it came in with a MP8 415C and the salesman said that you couldn’t get a Maxidyne engine anymore, this engine doesn’t have the low end torque that mine has, mine is the MP8 455M I can run off and leave him on hills,he has complained to Mack and they sent a guy to program the engine to 455hp but it still doesn’t compare to mine and he told him the same thing that Mack was going to offer only one engine and it would be the maxicruise engine. Has anyone else heard anything about this? Mack is famous for the Maxidyne engines for construction trucks I hope this isn’t true.

To answer your question, no I haven’t heard anything in regards to discontinuing it. Although Volvo does like to do sneaky shit and make good things disappear…So wouldn’t surprise me. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

To answer your question, no I haven’t heard anything in regards to discontinuing it. Although Volvo does like to do sneaky shit and make good things disappear…So wouldn’t surprise me. 

Not always sneaky either ! Blatant ignorance is more common! Taking mp ten out Mack and leaving them with no big power to sell was a dummass ignorant move as well! It wouldn't surprise me if they pull Maxidyne as they are pushing the Mtrash trans all this comes down to EPA by the way Maxidyne does not fit the bill when it comes to Emission! the rpm target is small for emission  engines  hence lots of gears which the mtrash is limited also! We will see!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 2

Not that it means anything but the Mack Website still shows 3 "performance specifications" for the MP8: Maxidyne, Maxicruise, and Econodyne. Honestly if you look at the horsepower and torque curves for the Maxidyne and Maxicruse there is almost zero difference. Actually, the Maxicruise makes slightly more peak torque at the lowest HP setting (415). If they are doing away with the Maxidyne I can see why. There is almost nothing different about it to justify its existence and affect on Volvo's bottom line. I'm sure their marketing people did a study and concluded those customers who wanted a Maxidyne would just take the Maxicruise if it was the only option.......

Edited by 67RModel

7 minutes ago, james j neiweem said:

Do current Maxidynes still pour in more fuel at low RPM's like the original engine concept.

I doubt it. There is so much torque limiting programming going on that you will probably rarely ever get to use the engines "rated output". Emissions. Emissions. Emissions......

Edited by 67RModel

8 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Not that it means anything but the Mack Website still shows 3 "performance specifications" for the MP8: Maxidyne, Maxicruise, and Econodyne. Honestly if you look at the horsepower and torque curves for the Maxidyne and Maxicruse there is almost zero difference. Actually, the Maxicruise makes slightly more peak torque at the lowest HP setting (415). If they are doing away with the Maxidyne I can see why. There is almost nothing different about it to justify its existence and affect on Volvo's bottom line. I'm sure their marketing people did a study and concluded those customers who wanted a Maxidyne would just take the Maxicruise if it was the only option.......

The guy that came from Mack said that the Mack marketing team was behind updating all the publications online, he said that they were selling more maxicruise engines than anything else and that’s why they were going to only offer that one, he also said they could program the engine to perform like a Maxidyne  so who knows 

On 4/18/2022 at 9:06 PM, Joey Mack said:

to me,,, Volvo had a hold of Mack since 2002, if not a bit sooner...  what you want aint painted redish pink...  jojo

Sadly , the reman ETECH engines will be painted MP red as the Mack re-man center cannot get the grey paint . I would not have believed it but I saw the bulletin myself. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mackpro said:

Sadly , the reman ETECH engines will be painted MP red as the Mack re-man center cannot get the grey paint . I would not have believed it but I saw the bulletin myself. 

Would cost extra money to stock Gray Paint ! Soon They will only come in green!