Shop Talk

Onyx610

On 12/31/2023 at 12:48 PM, Joey Mack said:

Alright Mechaholic......    This ones for you..  Here are some of my home made tools.  I have used them many times..   See some of us arent fancy pants..   :) By the way,  ALL of my 7 torque wrenches are ''click type''  not digital, with a beeper..  :) 

Any guess's as to which tool is the best one??   :)  She's polishing the crank journals for me. 

KIMG2538.JPG

KIMG2534.JPG

KIMG2535.JPG

KIMG2540.JPG

I like the liner mock up tool ! I made one exactly the Same years ago when E7 came out great minds think alike buddy Never had a liner installer always used a bfh  and block of wood for that!

I put that liner press together after my tired arms and shoulders told me to do something else or ''we are quitting''..  :) 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Well, I had a few hours to get back on the ENDT 673..  Did some blasting and priming.  I also tried to fix the brass coolant pipe. It was dented pretty good, and had a slight bend in it.  I got lucky,  a piece of fence pipe was enough to rough in the round shape, and then I used a wrist pin from a John Deere 3179DF engine to finish it..  The wrist pin was a perfect fit..  I couldnt get it perfect, but I also didnt want to knock a hole or crack in the pipe, so I stooped here..  

KIMG2621.JPG

KIMG2622.JPG

KIMG2623.JPG

KIMG2624.JPG

KIMG2626.JPG

Lookin' good. I didn't see the valve cover bolts in the pictures but have a question about them. I did valve cover gaskets a few months ago and noticed the bolts have a groove in the shank and am not sure what it is for. Is there a baffle that goes over the rockers? Or I thought an O ring but the bolt bottoms out before you get to that part.IMG_1169.thumb.JPG.bc0e31f9dc58c877b0b938aae1b60a5e.JPG

that groove has been on hold down bolts far as I can remember  (NOT  a good comparison  I know); fiber carbon washer under side of hold down bolt between cover and bolt head with a slight amount of sealant . sealant for lube movement . have seen and installed bolts with new washers only to have washer tear apart being installed dry.

• Like 1

was there ever a snap ring in that groove to keep the bolts from falling out of the valve cover when loosened?  I don't know much about the small details of END's.  This is my first full rebuild. 

• Like 1

if ever a snap ring was installed on the hold down bolts by factory new ; it was eliminated years ago. is the first END build on a stand or in frame ????? taxing the brain cells once again ;;;; can't remember first full rebuild ; hate old age ;; remember a few outstanding full builds, can't say first.

• Like 1

on a stand,  but i have to take it off the stand to put the flywheel housing on.  it is a home made stand. (not made by me) 

KIMG2530.JPG

KIMG2531.JPG

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I have to rotate it with an engine crane and support it with jack stands, otherwise it will spin around and kill me if it hits me. :) 

4 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I have to rotate it with an engine crane and support it with jack stands, otherwise it will spin around and kill me if it hits me. :) 

can you get permission to drill  a hole on  end supports  then rotate turn table and  drill  through support hole into turn table pipe  random spots. when engine installed can rotate /line up drilled hole / install pins ??

10 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

or knock some sense into you.........🤪

• Haha 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I can do what I want with it..  The owner doesnt want it back..  He said it's a P.O.S.   I still want to buy one like the one in the background.  much better and safer to use..  and,,, TJC,,  My wife tells me that God didnt give me the sense he gave a Billy Goat..  So I guess I will just stay stupid..   :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I got a bit more done today..  I'm pickin' at this engine while waiting for parts for the other one I'm doin. 

and, NO.. I did not leave it outside.  I just brought it out for good pic's..  :) 

KIMG2627.JPG

KIMG2628.JPG

Nice job buddy! Pop that b housing  pan a front cover on and your done! Or are you building a complete?

• Like 1

yep,  I need to take it off that stand and put it on the wooden engine pallet so I can get the flywheel housing on. I also have to put the injection pump coupler together..  The book i'm using is just 'ok'..  the assembly sequence is not very clear.  I pick at this one between chores and the E-Tech that I have on a stand.  as you know..  I am expecting the new lifters for it soon.  Then I can do the cam bushings and get the cam set installed, run the valves, and get the 3 covers on that one..  I use heavy plastic sheets and magnets to hold the plastic up to protect the open bottom end in the shop.  

Thanks for the comments.  I hope you get a good outcome with your tractor.  Jojo

47 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

yep,  I need to take it off that stand and put it on the wooden engine pallet so I can get the flywheel housing on. I also have to put the injection pump coupler together..  The book i'm using is just 'ok'..  the assembly sequence is not very clear.  I pick at this one between chores and the E-Tech that I have on a stand.  as you know..  I am expecting the new lifters for it soon.  Then I can do the cam bushings and get the cam set installed, run the valves, and get the 3 covers on that one..  I use heavy plastic sheets and magnets to hold the plastic up to protect the open bottom end in the shop.  

Thanks for the comments.  I hope you get a good outcome with your tractor.  Jojo

Nice thing with the e6 you can use cloths pins to hold them up! While the side plates are off!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I have a target.  

in the day (yrs back) ; target tool was old style welding rod having flux removed=perfect fit in squirters, technical piece was clear 1/4 in plastic plate having groove on underside to fit on liner. within liner circle on plastic plate was square etched in .proper squirter location would have welding rod pointing in the etched square.

That's what I have.  I traced a target on plexi glass 20+ years ago and made mine. Knocked the flux off a welding rod as well..  🤣

12 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

That's what I have.  I traced a target on plexi glass 20+ years ago and made mine. Knocked the flux off a welding rod as well..  🤣

YUP! If works don't fix it! Same rig I used for years as well Not sure much changed in that department! keep it simple!