o ring in side cover 2000 rd688 rearend

Moparmike

4 hours ago, R.E.D said:

Can't help with part number, but there are two kinds of covers plastic and aluminum.. plastic cover oring is thicker than aluminum.which one do you have?

i first read this post and thought you were joking! a PLASTIC side cover, guess i've been away from the wrenches too long. 

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

i first read this post and thought you were joking! a PLASTIC side cover, guess i've been away from the wrenches too long. 

Yea it's some kind of plastic..has brass spacers molded at the four bolt holes as to not crush the cover by over torquing them...the fill hole plug is rubber and snaps in like the plug on a front axle wheel hub..they get brittle and brake while removing...I changed mine to aluminum about ten days ago wheel I had my rear end rebuilt.

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

the plastic side cover is real,,, thanks to Volvo.... jojo

Yea I figured.. cutting corners..I bet they figured the aluminum last too long , therefore they made plastic which becomes brittle and  brakes while removing.then they charge an arm and leg at the stealership for another plastic one.lol.only way they get us to stop rebuilding and repairing our older equipment is to make replacement parts with lower quality and prices higher than giraffe 🦒 p***y... excuse my French.

Red