Front leaf spring bushings and pin replacement

Ricky Beals

You can jack the front up or on the ground and put a block of wood between the frame and tire. Use the power steering to push into it and watch the springs for movement. 

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 1

I'm guessing you have #14,500 front springs, 3 leaves...  the band clamp on the end of the spring pack is basically an indicater for shifting spring's.  Are they shifting? if so ...  jack the truck up and support the frame. crawl under there with a sledge hammer and try to straighten the spring leaves, if you do... they are loose..  probabley 1 1/8" socket put the toughest 3/4 gun on it or 500lbft  or whatever you can pull... test drive the truck "at work" and re-check e'm....  jojo

• Like 2

If those grease fittings were neglected it’s a good chance your bushings could be gone. Joey is right about them shifting and trying to re tighten them. Doesn’t cost anything for those couple of tests. Hopefully they just need tightened. 

45 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

You can jack the front up or on the ground and put a block of wood between the frame and tire. Use the power steering to push into it and watch the springs for movement. 

I’m not following you on this? Can you give a little more detailed please.

Edited by Ricky Beals

35 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I'm guessing you have #14,500 front springs, 3 leaves...  the band clamp on the end of the spring pack is basically an indicater for shifting spring's.  Are they shifting? if so ...  jack the truck up and support the frame. crawl under there with a sledge hammer and try to straighten the spring leaves, if you do... they are loose..  probabley 1 1/8" socket put the toughest 3/4 gun on it or 500lbft  or whatever you can pull... test drive the truck "at work" and re-check e'm....  jojo

Jojo when you say straighten the springs I’m guessing your thinking one end is bent toward opposite tire. (Just an example) and if that’s the case knock it back in line and then tighten the hell out of nut. 

what do you mean band clamp is an indicator for shifting springs? 

sorry guys this is my first truck and I’m about as green as a gourd.

Edited by Ricky Beals

You can put a piece of wood on the inside of the top of the tire between it and the frame. Have someone get in the truck and turn the wheel into the wood and you watch the springs for movement. If the spring pack jumps or clunks it’s the bushings 

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

You can put a piece of wood on the inside of the top of the tire between it and the frame. Have someone get in the truck and turn the wheel into the wood and you watch the springs for movement. If the spring pack jumps or clunks it’s the bushings 

We talking a 2x4 piece of wood say 3’ long. Sorry to be anal but I have never seen this done so I’m trying to understand.

Usually that top rod going through them break off. I’d imagine that if your springs are shifting the sides of that “bracket” would be bowed out. They just help keep the springs centered during shipping and install I believe. Mack says if they are broken it’s not a problem. 

Good solid piece of wood and how ever long you need to to get between the tire and frame. Once you turn the wheel into it the distance will close. Your just using the power steering to help you move the axle beam which would show a loose spring pack or bushings If worn. It won’t hurt anything as long as the wood isn’t on like a abs modulator valve or something haha. 

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Beals said:

Yes sir it does.

Good chance it’s bushings then, we had an RD with a multi leaf spring setup and that’s what it felt like when the bushings went out. Let us know what you find tomorrow and we can go from there. 

10 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Here are my springs. Only band on the set.

9FB066E2-00D9-414B-8CE3-97BBD0F92BD9.jpeg

388B525F-B59A-45F1-A445-DFD6CC0970E7.jpeg

some time's, I lube the u-bolt threads then back the nuts off and lube the nut and washer surfaces then retorque them. then run the truck to see if the springs are shifting, sometimes you can hear a popping sound when turning, that means they are shifting side to side. I said 3 spring leavves, you have 4... sorry about that.. between the axle beam and the block, should be a thin wedge. if so, does it look crushed or worn?  I think the u-bolt's are 7/8"  I will get the torque for them and post it.. jojo

• Like 1

Idk if it’s just the picture but the bottom 3 springs don’t look to be inline with the top one. I know those clips never touch but it looks like it might have a slight spread to it. 

Edited by Onyx610

A unusual to me and my eyes way of assembling a spring 

Most times the leafs get shorter as they progress thru the pack towards the axle

They must be correct as it isnt the style of spring that can easily disassembled 

image.jpeg

These are more normal

So back to the question at hand, if this noise is only recent I would suspect something is broken or loose 

Jack the truck up a bit to take some weight off the axle (so dont sit the axle stands or blocks under the axle but under chassis or bumper bar or some where similar) and using a long pry bar or tyre lever stick It between the shackles ect and see what you can move

I find I need to take some of the weight off the axle but not all, this makes it easier to push and lever here and there and still get a reaction 

Paul 

if the noise seems to be under your feet, my question is ; what are the rear hangers looking like? i've seen the rear spring bushing break the welds on turning the spring would slide sometimes making noise. if the rear of the spring rides in a saddle without pins , i've seen worn saddles with groves and the spring will make noise on turns also 

55 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

A unusual to me and my eyes way of assembling a spring 

Most times the leafs get shorter as they progress thru the pack towards the axle

They must be correct as it isnt the style of spring that can easily disassembled 

image.jpeg

These are more normal

So back to the question at hand, if this noise is only recent I would suspect something is broken or loose 

Jack the truck up a bit to take some weight off the axle (so dont sit the axle stands or blocks under the axle but under chassis or bumper bar or some where similar) and using a long pry bar or tyre lever stick It between the shackles ect and see what you can move

I find I need to take some of the weight off the axle but not all, this makes it easier to push and lever here and there and still get a reaction 

Paul 

What he has is called a “full taper leaf spring” and what you are used to seeing is called a “multi leaf spring” I believe the newer Mack’s use the tapered style now. Our 2018 granite has them. They seem to have a lot of bounce going down the road. All the other trucks we have are the multi leaf. 

• Like 1

What he has is called a cobbled little taper leaf some brain surgeon thinks is better that way to put more weight on on his basic 12000 pound steer axle.

Guys do it, it kinda works (I guess)  Think on that model truck ? I'd take a look at the cab mounts , that'd explain a clunky noise by his feet.

Sorry guys but my son is down wiring up my shop. It’s gotten real cold here. I took this photo of the drivers rear spring bushings.

something is definitely loose because when I turn and truck shifts weight to say passenger side I hear and feel a loud clunk. I feel it in my feet. Same when weight gets shifted to drivers side.

3D84EE9E-688D-4918-9349-0C957286B39C.jpeg

537DD720-67DE-43D3-A65A-9275F37B1433.jpeg

Edited by Ricky Beals