90’-2002’ RD Model

Good evening, to All. I’m in the process of looking for a “ Work Horse Mack”.  I’m Old-School, so I was looking at the (RD model). Here in Southwest Michigan 11-axle Gross of “ Gravel Trains 164,000lbs, no permit! Would like to run a Quad or Tri for now, then later down the line a Pup trailer. So , as you can see we are a “Heavy Weight” State. No other way, but to represent with OLD-FAITHFUL MACK! Couple of questions for y’all brothers and Sisters (1) 6’31/2 will I fit? (2) I’ve heard an pre- emission 454 E7 , 2130TQ, 4:42 rear-gears, 44k rears, and camelback Spring Suspension . Was also thinking if room was an issue (Cab), then I would definitely purchase lowrider air-seat and seat frame spacer. Any suggestions or help, would be truly appreciated. May you and your Families, have an wonderful weekend and please be safe!

I'm 6 ft tall and someday if not all of them I wish they made cabs a bit bigger. You'll definitely fit in there but not alot of room to stretch your legs. The lowrider seat would probably help out. Your specs sound good personally I prefer airride. 

2 hours ago, storkmack said:

My brother just put a low rider seat in his, but he hasn’t gone anywhere.  Personally, once I got on a good road for a stretch, I would put the seat to the floor left foot up over the dimmer switch and the right foot buried in the firewall. 

Are you just bragging your still flexible 😉

12 minutes ago, Dirtymilkman said:

R model has more room than any day cab Pete or Kenworth I ever drove. 

We have some Pete’s and KW’s and I agree that an R model has more room. Pete guy tells me you have to have a sleeper so you put the seat further back 

Thank You much, for your worthy and great answers. I really appreciate them all! Probably looking at a Tri-axle,and pull a pup next year. Then my MAX haul will be in the 154-156,000LBS, ball park. Unfortunately, but fortunately on the business side of things. If one hasn’t heard, Michigan’s Lakes shore lines have severely eroded. A big movement since 2019’, when it truly started getting bad, has not let up, and only getting worse. Getting Limestone in and out (boulders) is really good money right now, and probably will be for a number of years. Any suggestions for engine, trans and suspension for this Load-set up. I believe someone said I was on the right track for set up. I will e looking for Mack with a steel bed 18-20’ feet long, budget for use Mack wether totally upgrade or purchase to get totally right, 50-75K.