Thermodyne coolant temp

tilynb61

I have a 63 B61, Thermodyne. Engine temp never gets warm enough to even register on the Guage. Checked with a infrared tester, about 120 after a long drive. Shutters are stuck open, bent so would need to replace them to get working. Is this doing damage,wear to the engine? Have not pulled thermostat yet, might have been removed. 

Thanks for any advice

Don't know about damage, but is definitley to low of temperature. should be a thermostat on engine too. the thermostat temp should be about10 or15 degrees cooler than the shutterstat, so when the thermostat is open and is still to warm the shutters will open and cool more.    terry:MackLogo:

Terry is right on.  The coolant t-stat should be a bit below the shutterstat.  Mine had a 657GC 225A P1 thermostat.  I can't recall if that was a 160 or a 170.  But, the shutters controlled the temp from there up to 180-190.

I read somewhere that some folks would just run a hotter thermostat if the shutters were stuck open.  Some trucks came without shutters, after all.  I would think that, with a little work, one should be able to simulate the cooling characteristics of one of the non-shuttered trucks on a truck with stuck shutters.  Maybe just put a new 180 thermostat in it???

I'm sure someone here will have some insight into this.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I was led to believe that shutters were there for after climbing a big hill and you ran down the other side the the water didnt cool to quickly and crack a head

I'm guessing this is even more important when working were it's very cold 

Is it even a concern on a hobbie truck ? Probably not 

Paul

Part of  the reason I'm sure is the truck is never worked hard at all. Usually bobtail or pulling a light trailer. Runs fine ,took it out on a 90+ degree day and still doesn't get above 120. I'll check for a thermostat,  could also possibly cover part of  the radiator.  

Sounds like the thermostat is either stuck open or missing.  I would almost bet missing.

Stick a 180 in it and it will probably be fine for a hobby truck.

Actually, I BELIEVE the P1 opened at 155, and the P2 opened at 170.  I have all that information somewhere, if I can just find it.

http://www.wattstruckcenter.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_72&product_id=387

Maybe???

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Mine is a 1960 non turbo. I had the same problem with the shuttes stuck open the temp gauge hardly registered. I checked for a thermostat and there is none. The housing is just a nipple for the radiator hose. I got the shutters to work and now run about 170 degrees. They never open only when you shut it off. I don't know if the low temp does any damage but they sure run better at temp.

I will probably look at repairing the shutters this winter. All the parts are there, but when the truck was sitting for a while someone thought it a good idea to take a bat to them and bend them up good so now they are bound up. Thanks for the responses. 

• Like 1