DeBoth Brothers Logging

Mack Technician

Guys I know from the dealership days. Loved Mack. Use to spend the end of year $$ on a new truck or wood processor and let it sit in a showcase shed for local parades or as a "just in case" truck. They must have had one of the millennial grandsons post it, he clearly can't spell Mack (Mach). 50 miles on the truck.

https://northernwi.craigslist.org/hvo/d/prentice-new-mach-ch-613-single-cab/7150803426.html

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

Wow. Couldn’t imagine having that much money and equipment to be able to buy a new machine and let it set. They say the 3rd generation of a family business usually fails. I assume it’s because the 3rd gen never say gramps and gram bust their butts to make a go of it. So in the 3rd gens eyes it’s always been easy so just sell it. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

7 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

Wow. Couldn’t imagine having that much money and equipment to be able to buy a new machine and let it set. They say the 3rd generation of a family business usually fails. I assume it’s because the 3rd gen never say gramps and gram bust their butts to make a go of it. So in the 3rd gens eyes it’s always been easy so just sell it. 

He's retiring. As I recall they never bought a truck inside of the Tier 3 emissions (or higher). The newest I recall were some 460HP E-Techs from the early 2000's which they used to tow 98K of wood chips. Those he started selling 2 years ago.

Tires got hocked, looks like recaps, the one still has a sticker on the cap? Bright side......at least new recaps! Funny how the condensate can rust the plate & mount.

Edited by Mack Technician

1 hour ago, Maxidyne said:

Used to be that trucking was profitable enough that you could do stupid stuff like spend good money on a new truck then park it. Nowadays it's so dog eat dog that even well managed trucking operations go under.

Reminds me of Jamerson Brothers Trucking in Appomattox, Va. In the 70's and 80's. All Herbert Jamerson ran was Macks, and he would sometimes buy a new one for tax reasons and just park it in the field behind the shop. His drivers would be complaining about driving an old F model with a 237 in it that you could look through the floorboard and see the highway and he'd have a brand new 300 F model parked that he had never even put tags on. 

Heard lots of stories about him.  Like if you left a truck running on the yard with the AC on he would cut the truck off then take his pocket knife and cut the belt. And you better not call him after 5, even if his truck was upside down somewhere.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Yup, they’re hearty folks. Don’t mind riding on a steel hump. Much of the 90’s fleet had air ride with the sleeper units and 48’ loader trailers. Landing pickers.  

Keep in mind these guys considered an air ride seat inside of an air ride cab to already be a little too luxurious in comparison to the forwarders they used for the previous 30 years. Before bio mass collection the trucks would run right over the downed tops. Bags are flimsy, low and vulnerable. If you had an air bag suspension you’d be doing one bag a month because of tooth pick attack. Now they chip the whole tree and the stumpage looks swept clean as the kitchen floor. That’d be my guess.....they expected to pick off deep landings and didn’t want to deal with bringing suspension balloons to the dart 🎯 party? Other thing was axle cracks. The single-point weight displacement of a spring pad usually cracked the Mack axle tops on the off road trucks. Camels had better weldment style receiver and rarely cracked the housings.