Do it like Pruitt

This was right after the truck changed hands (again) a couple of year ago.  I have the new owner's card at home somewhere.  Super nice guy.

This particular one is sitting on a Pete air-ride rear suspension.  Not sure if it's a full Pete frame or not.

Loved this show growing up.  Glad to see at least 1 of the trucks survived.  I believe this is a season 1 (west coast) truck.

KW1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I gotta question supposedly the weight change from 73,280 was done in 1974 but I know I started driving 6/18/76 and the weight limit was still 73,280 but Pruitt truck say's 80k ? to be true to the times if the show started in 1974 then the truck would have had gvw 73280 ? 

I'm pretty sure that 80K is not period correct.  I know I've seen other trucks in the show that said 73K.  I know the Galoob r/c truck I have from that show had 73K on the door.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c1/2f/8f/c12f8f0fa228e6f6425fe2311c07d488.jpg

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

1 minute ago, Brocky said:

The new owner got it around some as the week before he had it at our show in Dacusville SC and at then end of the month he participated in the SC Special Olympics Convoy in Columbia SC

Crap!  I forgot to look up that guy's name last night.  'Course, that's just 1 of the things I forgot to do last night...

He said he had been apprehensive about taking on that truck, but the support and encouragement he had gotten from the folks at the shows had been incredible.  I guess that's what happens when you drive around in a piece of TV history.

Hope we get to see him again this year.

On 7/31/2020 at 6:51 PM, mowerman said:

i would love to have it....bob

OMG!  I dug up the card yesterday, and promptly forgot to put the name out here!  Forgive a feeble-minded old-timer!

I'll try to remember to post his info tonight.

On 7/31/2020 at 6:51 PM, mowerman said:

i would love to have it....bob

I finally remembered his name: Mark Stracener

I will try to get the rest of his info tonight.  But, I figured I would put this out here while it was on my mind.

Yup, Mark.  He has a facebook page about the show and he apparently is doing a restoration on the truck?  Or is it just the motor?  Been some time since I saw a post about it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

4 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Yup, Mark.  He has a facebook page about the show and he apparently is doing a restoration on the truck?  Or is it just the motor?  Been some time since I saw a post about it.

Truck looked pretty much done when I saw it. 

3CC51830-D526-4EB2-9D30-2394E940C8F5.jpeg

F07C08A4-FD60-4CE4-B0F5-F64153F22F73.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I was watchin' the Movin' On shows again this weekend.  Every time I could see the shifter knob in any of the 1st season shows, it was a 13-speed.  Every time I could see the shifter knob in the second season, or any time they talked about the truck, it was a 10-speed.  Also noticed that the 903 Cummins was mentioned several times in season 1.  But, in one of the season 2 episodes, the hood was up and it was a 6-cylinder Cummins.

I can't say for certain, but I think I may have seen a gold-inserted hood ornament on 1 episode from the 2nd season (50th anniversary).  That had to be a '76 model, right?  I need to re-check that, as I thought the 1st season trucks were '74s and the 2nd season trucks were 75s.

Mark's truck is a '74, so that fits in with it being one of the season 1 trucks.  When last I saw it, it had the 13-speed and a 6-cylinder in it.  May have been re-geared to run with the 6, also.

Shame I won't get to see it this fall.

Well, I just rewatched the season 2 episode with both trucks. No gold hood ornament. But, Claude Akins told his accomplice hat one truck had a 13 speed. Never saw the knob. So, not sure if they had a 10 and a 13 In both seasons or 2 13s In season 1 and 2 10s in season 2. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got curious again about the trucks used in this series.  I could have sworn I saw a gold hood ornament on one of them.  So, I went back and watched again.  I DID see a gold emblem in a few shots.  That makes it a '73.  But, the VIT didn't come out till '74.  So, it is possible that a '73 was "upgraded" to '74 status and used alongside a real '74.

I also found a bunch of people who had posted information about the differences between the '74 and '75 models.  And, it does appear there were quite a few trucks used over the course of the show.

The link below has some of the best information I have found.  There were a couple more that had interesting facts, like different locations of badges and antennas and different air intake piping between the different years.

Looks like there were 2 '74s, a '73, and a '75 used routinely.  There was also the '73 in the pilot episode (quite different) and a '76 used in 1 episode (different color).

Some of the information I found comes from what appear to be credible sources.  And, some of those guys really know their KWs.  So, I am inclined to believe them (especially Sagehorn!).  One even gave the VINs of the 2 '74s.

For what it's worth...

https://www.imcdb.org/v042128.html

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel