Hello from Forestport, NY

teched

not far from me..... but god oh why god would you ever pick a midliner to build something on. chassis parts are beyond unobtainable and if it has juice brakes or air over juice they are junk. worked on many and a few with air leaks and parts are non exhistent. youd be better off finding parts for a 60 year old B model

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I know they have there issues but it was cheap and ran /drove good.  Its full air brakes.  I know they are metric air lines and that can be a problem.  I've got $1800 in and I figure the box is worth $600.  I've got a guy who will buy the truck without the box for $1500.  I haven't completely committed to using the truck.  I like the long wheelbase but its a class 7 and I don't have a CDL.  I thought I would throw a B model on it and register as a B.  If I found a decent running diesel B for $2500 I would Probably sell the Midliner and look for a 5th wheel trailer to pull my stuff with.  Cool to see Mack man near me.  

On 7/17/2020 at 10:27 PM, Maddog13407 said:

historic plates in NY dont require a CDL

Would like to run Historical Plates, but I need a long wheelbase if I plan on using it for a ramp truck. I could buy a tractor but you cant haul a trailer with historical plates. 

I reckon you can still get parts for them pretty easy, just not in the states thats all

That to some might be a drama but most of us have smart phones and credit cards so it's not the big drama and is only a click or two and a week or so wait to get stuff from the other side of the world 

The midliner( with out the bonnet or hood as you blokes call them ) are pretty much the same truck and cab as the coe midliner the rest of the world know about 

So dont throw the towel in just yet

Paul

Interesting...I know that my friends have a 1972 Chevy P.U. that they wanted to tow their 1972 15' Scotty camper with to shows and the DMV told them they could not tow with Historical plates and needed to get passenger or commercial plates.  I don't know who they have for insurance.  I spoke with a lady at the DMV the first day they opened up amid the Corona shutdown. About the "Personal Use Exemption" for a CDL licence. She was very nice( I know weird) She could not explain it to me and asked her supervisor, who could not explain it, and gave me a number to another office, who did not answer.   I feel its a clause that they don't want people to know about due to people hauling 20 ton of stone and telling the cop its for my driveway.  She was aware of the R endorsement to drive a Recreational Vehicle over 26001 GVWR.

My advice is you need to read the actual vehicle code and not rely on what DMV says or publishes in there manuals.

If the vehicle code supports what you are doing then you should keep copies of that section(s) in the vehicle and make them available to the LEO if you get pulled over.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 4:51 PM, mrsmackpaul said:

I reckon you can still get parts for them pretty easy, just not in the states thats all

That to some might be a drama but most of us have smart phones and credit cards so it's not the big drama and is only a click or two and a week or so wait to get stuff from the other side of the world 

The midliner( with out the bonnet or hood as you blokes call them ) are pretty much the same truck and cab as the coe midliner the rest of the world know about 

So dont throw the towel in just yet

Paul

Thanks Paul, 

I'm not totally commented to the Midliner chassis, but it was cheep and I could use the storage box.  I seen a few of these trucks sitting around.  I spoke with someone who works on these and said the engines are great!  And like you said just order your airlines off the Web because they are metric fittings.  When I first looked at the truck it would crank fast enough to fire, so I ordered a starter off the internet for $100 shipping included and it worked perfect! The frames have a tendency to be prone to rust/ delamination post 1996.  Also thought about a school bus frame, but couldn't find one as cheap as this was and there all automatics.  Not too keen on the automatics.