Water pump

eddeere

I got the B 61 out yesterday and drove it around to warm things up. Went to check the oil and noticed a large lump of grease on a line below the water pump. It looks if it came from the water pump but can not figure out where or why. The service manual reads to fill the cavity between the bearings 1/3 full of lithium base grease do not over fill. It looks like there is also a vent on this area. Any suggestions or does anyone  know where rebuilt pumps are available ?

Local Napa store sent a pump out for me once to get rebuilt. A local parts store near you may have your answer. I'm not sure if b model water pumps are same as early R model 2 valves but I have some nos of them. If you get to the point where you remove your water pump post a pic I might have one. Have you checked to see if pulley has play in it. That's what happened to mine.

40 minutes ago, alex g said:

Local Napa store sent a pump out for me once to get rebuilt. A local parts store near you may have your answer. I'm not sure if b model water pumps are same as early R model 2 valves but I have some nos of them. If you get to the point where you remove your water pump post a pic I might have one. Have you checked to see if pulley has play in it. That's what happened to mine.

I do believe a r model pump has a little longer snout.  terry:MackLogo:

Thanks for the help. Never thought to check the pulley. Did and it is tight. Reading the  manual some early pumps had grease cups. These were to be replaced with plugs and never use grease fittings as the pressure would blow out the seals. If I can find a grease cup will try to keep the pump greased this way. For a hobby truck this may work for a while until the fan and pulley become loose. Just have to keep everything out of the radiator.

There's no source of grease in the pump except the bearings and the cavit in between. What you describes sounds like excess of grease went off the cavit by the reason of heat. But this makes sence only if you heated up the truck for the first time after the pump rebuilt or installation a new one.

I passed through rebuild of both my NR-model pump of 1945 and MH one of 1990 and can tell they are pretty much the same (not absolutely). The older one had a gease cup at the top and the newer didn't. My suggestion is if you fill the bearings with modern Lithium grease well enough it would be Ok for no less than 50K miles or more (same matter as wheel bearings) so I see no need in the grease cut to be used. Seems like design of newer MH (and R-model) pump was based on the same theory so no gease up during the service life at all.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

P.S. I see no need in the pump rebuild unless it's leaky or bearings make noise or don't run smooth when you turn the shaft by hand.

Thanks Vladislav  your thinking is the same as mine. There is a vent on top of the pump in the cavity between the bearings. I took this out and will add grease in here. I doubt if I will ever get 50K miles on the truck. Just in case I ordered seals from PAI. Hope I never have to rebuild the pump but just in case. The service manual has good instructions on a pump rebuild.

I rebuilt my old one in a reason of restoration. It also had ancient carbon seal and it still has but I put a new rebuild kit into and had to lap the mating surface of the housing. Turned out Ok, a bit to my surprize.Had to pull the rotary wheel off the shaft and press back on after.  Also going to restore a pump for R-model mostly to sandblast and paint and will put new PAI seal in it but that's not today.