7.3 godzilla in a 650

Red Horse

Access on the right side is awful.  Electrical box (assuming it's full of fuses and relays) outboard of the coolant tank and washer fluid bottle is a mistake, fluids will be spilled on it and I doubt it's weatherproof.  Disappointing it has a real thrown-together look about it.  Bet it runs good though. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

Access on the right side is awful.  Electrical box (assuming it's full of fuses and relays) outboard of the coolant tank and washer fluid bottle is a mistake, fluids will be spilled on it and I doubt it's weatherproof.  Disappointing it has a real thrown-together look about it.  Bet it runs good though. 

Yeah, I'd hate to work on the right side of that engine.

Here  is  the GM/Inter. JV  Any better? Stick a V-8under the hood of anything and it sucks IMO.  Only thing that isbetter on this vs 650 is  19.5 wheels vs 22.5. Roadway?  what vehicles today DON'T have major relays/fuse boxes under hood vs stuffed under dash/on firewall  inside?

I remember the intro videos of this JV one of the talking points  was,..."crank the steering and  you step  inside the tire" .  And then what?  Just like the Ford, you get your sockets out and start removing plastic panels/stuff to  get at your engine.

EFB866AF-91E5-4B63-8EC0-33030677C6E3.jpeg

0F22F558-4B18-4C79-8E13-C84B37B88F54.jpeg

• Like 1

The International is a CV Red Horse, not JV. Just to save confusion. No matter how bad these look, still 100% better than lifting the cab off a Superduty to do engine work, LOL

But very glad to see the 7.3 Gasser in the new Ford's. I would absolutely buy that over a diesel if I ever had to replace my current F550.

And besides, with the gas engine what real access to the engine do you need? Other than spark plugs nothing ever really needs to be touched with them, unlike the new diesel's.

18 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

The International is a CV Red Horse, not JV. Just to save confusion. No matter how bad these look, still 100% better than lifting the cab off a Superduty to do engine work, LOL

But very glad to see the 7.3 Gasser in the new Ford's. I would absolutely buy that over a diesel if I ever had to replace my current F550.

And besides, with the gas engine what real access to the engine do you need? Other than spark plugs nothing ever really needs to be touched with them, unlike the new diesel's.

BH, Agree 100% on lifting cab-although I've heard some pretty low times that guys say they can do it in.  Oh and by "JV" I was referring to GM/International "Joint Venture".  When I get a chance I' m going to take some shots of a Power Stroke in a 650/750.  My bet is that will be another selling feature  for the 7.3.  At least you can SEE one side of  the motor😎

The International looks as cluttered as the Ford, but it is a turbo diesel V-8.  Should be worse!  The CV looks a little better laid out and the smaller wheel/tire combo helps.  There is a chance I will be in the market for a class 6 in a couple of years and you guys are right, I would strongly consider an Isuzu FTR or the Chevy 6500 equivalent .  Particularly if they offer a gasoline engine by that time.  

7 hours ago, Red Horse said:

BH, Agree 100% on lifting cab-although I've heard some pretty low times that guys say they can do it in.  Oh and by "JV" I was referring to GM/International "Joint Venture".  When I get a chance I' m going to take some shots of a Power Stroke in a 650/750.  My bet is that will be another selling feature  for the 7.3.  At least you can SEE one side of  the motor😎

Oh ok Red Horse. I didn't catch on to the 'joint venture" LOL. I think book time for lifting the cab is 4 or 5 hours i can't remember which now.

Or (in the 6 litre days anyway) you could make a permanent "dent" in the firewall which allowed you get the heads off with the cab on.

My only issue with lifting the cab is I only seem to have very incompetent dealers and dealer mechanics where i live. They can't even replace a rear view mirror head properly, so I really don't want these people removing my cab and bolting it back on, LOL