Western Star at the 2020 Work Truck Show

kscarbel2

Wow, awesome speaking job there sales reps. LOL And so many technical details. Are they afraid to be on camera or did they just forget what they memorized off their cards? LOL

Anyway, those cab air exhaust outlets will be welcomed IF THEY WORK. Because that is one issue I have had with both 4900's....the side windows tend to fog. My 2020 is better than the 2013 was, but if you put the heat on the floor, forget about seeing out the side windows until you get the cab really heated up. On defrost it is fine.

And that's one of the best thing about the 4900/6900 Star's. They still use old school point to point wiring. Only one module (that I know of because my 2013 failed) is the one for the daytime running lights.

But I have a bad feeling that in the near future Freightliner will screw this up and go multi-plex which I think the 4700 is (because it is basically a Freightliner 112 SD.)

• Like 1

Brand X salesman told me last week that coming soon Freightliner will use the "Star" brand name on their next new vocational truck. I wonder if this means the old Western Star cab is going to go away? He says changes coming to Freightliner vocational lines. They will not stock a truck with an X15, by the way. Every week someone asks if they can get a C15 anytime soon.  

5 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

I've noticed they're offering more heavy frames and axles on the Cascadia, so Daimler probably wants to standardize on that cab.

Well the Western Star 5700 is a Cascadia, with a Star cab. And I think I posted pics on here somewhere, but yes, a new aluminum cab Freightliner with a W on the grill is coming.

They said it is so they can offer a lighter tare weight and that the cab will be Western Star'ized with additional strength and bracing. My take on it....standardize and make more profit.

We just got a new 2020. Hopefully we can get one more new 4900 before they turn into a Freightliner. But still, this 20 is better than the 2013, but Star's build quality is still crap and full of flaws. My 2013 was WAY worse built than our Mexican built Coronado 122SD. But I still prefer the current Star's cab and wiring.

14 hours ago, TS7 said:

Brand X salesman told me last week that coming soon Freightliner will use the "Star" brand name on their next new vocational truck. I wonder if this means the old Western Star cab is going to go away? He says changes coming to Freightliner vocational lines. They will not stock a truck with an X15, by the way. Every week someone asks if they can get a C15 anytime soon.  

We get Cummins Powered Star-Cars down here...

https://westernstar.com.au/

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

When I was at the brand "X" dealer a man can came in with a Coronado 122SD MI Special (dump train) that was having regen issues (DD15). He still would rather have a DD than a X15. "X" Salesman says they have a lot of issues with Cummins and that  they are hard to deal with on engine issues. All I can say is that what I see and hear around here is that those that run 122SD and 4900's with DD15 and 16's seem to have less issues.   

I had lots of regen issues with my 2013 DD15. But unsure now if it was engine or dealer because at the end found out dealer techs were poking all the wire harness for the emission system with a test light and it all corroded.

So far my new DD13 505/1850 is flawless. On light load stop light to stop light snow haul and no regens. Doing it all on it's own.

The only reason I am liking Detroit now is because they feel the most "Cat" like the way the throttle and low RPM torque is. And I see the DD's coming into my dealer for rebuilds or replacement at 1.3 million KM's and all the used truck adds you see with Cummins most say motor replaced or rebuilt at 600 and some thousand KM.

Our DD's.....only hard part I ever replaced was the fan belt tensioner. Our ISX...6 injectors, fuel injection pump, air compressor, egr valve and cooler, thermostat, DEF pump and numerous NOX sensors. Both had same mileage and years on them.