Salt Lake City W-71

3 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Also an interesting fact is the diff ratio.

Mike, what the thunder did force you to set up a new account?

Only way I could get logged in to post on this portable tablet thing I got. One positive is that it doesn't have the problems my account on my desk computer has,no error messages and I can actually follow a post.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CaptainCrutch said:

C motors have the exhaust manifold on the driver side of the truck, this one has it on the passenger. The thing that leads me to believe it’s a B motor is the pattern on the block. My ‘53 has a B motor in it so the year isn’t really a reliable way of figuring out which motor I’ve learned...

yes it is a B

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CaptainCrutch said:

C motors have the exhaust manifold on the driver side of the truck, this one has it on the passenger. The thing that leads me to believe it’s a B motor is the pattern on the block. My ‘53 has a B motor in it so the year isn’t really a reliable way of figuring out which motor I’ve learned...

Mack EY. Made in 1943.707 ci displacement. As you can see both manifolds are on the right side.

Omaha-Disney-2011 1045_resize.jpg

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

1 hour ago, Vladislav said:

Mack EY. Made in 1943.707 ci displacement. As you can see both manifolds are on the right side.

Omaha-Disney-2011 1045_resize.jpg

Ah, sorry, most of the time I’m used to seeing 707 motors broken down into just A, B, and C. Never seen an updraft carb on a 707 either... must’ve been a military only thing...

Regardless the engine in that LT is a 707B...

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

15 minutes ago, CaptainCrutch said:

Ah, sorry, most of the time I’m used to seeing 707 motors broken down into just A, B, and C. Never seen an updraft carb on a 707 either... must’ve been a military only thing...

Regardless the engine in that LT is a 707B...

No that engine was not military only. It was originally offered by Mack as a part of the newly designed Thermodyne family in November of 1938. So it was before the beginning of WW2. I'm not ready to share facts right at the moment but suppose they were also installed in commercial trucks after the war until newer generation of the same basic design came into produdtion.

Worth to note the military version had some specialialities such as modified oil pan and pump to clear up the front drive axle since those were used in 6x6 trucks. Also they didn't have dual ignition being not a firetruck engine. But the 2nd spot in the block for the additional distributer drilling and the 2nd geared area on the engine shaft were all there.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

51 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

No that engine was not military only. It was originally offered by Mack as a part of the newly designed Thermodyne family in November of 1938.

I was referring to the updraft carb on a 707, not the engine itself. I know 707s weren’t military only, my firetruck has one and was just fixed up using parts off an engine from an OTR tractor.

Edited by CaptainCrutch
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, CaptainCrutch said:

Just stumbled upon this really nice pic of Dr. Bill’s old W-71. Supposedly this was taken just a few months ago at the Gerhart Show...

69096891-8C7B-4A42-932D-6BF00228A0CA.jpeg

This picture was from 2018. It was parked at a different place in 2019.  Not that it really matters. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, yarnall said:

This picture was from 2018. It was parked at a different place in 2019.  Not that it really matters. 

Is it normally at the Gerhart show? I’ve only ever gone on the Saturday once most people have left so I miss a lot of the trucks...