Tie rod ends for B-42

I am posting the line sheet from the Mack Museum on my truck hoping that someone can answer Garden Wolf's question about obtaining tie rod ends and roughly what they will cost.  I think I remember a discussion about the rebuild kits awhile back and I believe these are the ones that can be rebuilt.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks .

Steve

line_sheet.jpg

Tie rod rebuild kits are not available any more that I can find.

Some folks have used Meritor R230024 (Left) and R230025 (Right) tie rods and an A-3102-S-3451 cross tube as modern replacements on Mack FA517 front axles. 

I don't have a FA505 axle to measure and confirm compatibility.  You may want to get the tie rod taper dimension and compare to what you have currently.  Also, verify proper thread engagement between the tie rod and cross tube.  Cross tubes are available in different lengths if needed. 

$250-300 will be the approx. parts cost for the replacement assembly. 

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

5 minutes ago, B-42 said:

It was built in 1956 so the first part number would apply. Any suggestions as to sourcing?  Sounds like a common part if it fits that many different  configurations.

Please give Watts Mack a call at 1-888-304-6225. They are the generous provider of the BMT website.

1 minute ago, B-42 said:

Thank you very much for your help.

You're welcome! We aim to please.

"If " Watts doesn't have them, and/or can no longer obtain them from Mack (Volvo), then Google search. Try Watts first. for an original Mack kit.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=xFBBXoPYHa-DytMPp-uRmAg&q="301SQ32B"&oq="301SQ32B"&gs_l=psy-ab.12...7157.9913..13243...1.0..0.122.253.2j1......0....1..gws-wiz.BqPvKyzK8gA&ved=0ahUKEwiDyqiVgsfnAhWvgXIEHad1BIMQ4dUDCAo

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=201040

Don't thank me Justin. All I did was put it out there where the people who know the answer to your question  would see it.  They are the the ones who unselfishly share their knowledge and experience to help others on this site.  All you need to do is ask. 

• Like 1

It looks like an OEM distributor will be the way to go. After calling Watts it appear the original kits are not available. I followed the link provided in the messages of this thread and it looks like there are some decent prices. Barry at Watts also recommended Automan. Looks like I have some homework to do. 🤓

1 hour ago, garden wolf said:

I guess the tie rod ends are labeled as knuckle assembly left and right on the punch sheet? My eyes see 4QHA177A and 4Q?A157BP2. Is that right? 

No. Steering knuckles are steering knuckles.

Your tie rod ends are part numbers 10QH220P1 and 10QH221P1, which I believe are the rebuildable type. Kits used to be available, for example 204SQ17 and 204SQ21B. You need a parts book or a helping dealer.

Non-rebuildable tie rod ends also existed, depending on the front axle model, such as 10QH11A/10QH12A, 10QH35/10QH36 and 10QH37/10QH38.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I checked with Barry at Watts Truck Center and the tie rod ends are still not available.  Barry says they have found manufacturers for pieces of the tierod ends, but they have not been able to get one supplier for the full product.  Barry suggests looking for tie rod with the same taper as a FA505 axle and finding a tube to fit those tie rod ends.  The taper on my FA505 is 1.25" long (from major dia. to minor dia.), major diameter 7/8" and minor diameter 3/4".    Some documents say to measure the length of the taper from the middle of the tie rod body to the minor diameter, so that value is 2-1/8".  The tube diameter is 2".  

Some of the R models (including the one I had) used Rh threads on both tie rod ends, but they were a different thread pitch.  This allowed for very fine adjustments.  But, one of them was a bear to find (the finer-thread one, I think).  Not sure if any of the B models ever used that setup.

I found an aftermarket cross tube that was the right length (actually found one 1/4" longer)  and diameter, and used a traditional RH/LH pair of ends.  After that, the ends were easy to find.  Just matched up the threads and the tapers.

I have been racking my brain trying to find the info where I bought that tube, but cannot find the numbers anywhere.  Seems like it was actually for a Ford product of some kind.  Not sure who made it.  Too many years ago.  Seems like I found the original cross-reference in a Euclid catalog, if memory serves.  Then, kept searching until I found somebody else's number that I could actually get.  May have bought it thru CarQuest.  Just can't recall.

Correction:  I COULD find both the coarse and fine threaded ends.  Meritor listed them, I believe.  But, my tube was bent right through one of the threaded ends, so I could not turn it.  I could NOT find a tube that used the coarse/fine ends.  So, I HAD to find a tube that fit...and the only one I found had traditional RH/LH ends in it.  I'm gonna find that damned number!  Driving me nuts!  I know: short trip!

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."