In the picture is T2090 Mack transmission I removed from my Earstern R688 of 1988. Note that the mounting brackets have offset to the front. If you put them left to right the engine will go forward so not your case. But worth to investigate weren't such brackets used in Western or just early R-models of a straight style?

May.2018. 078_resize.jpg

Edited by Vladislav

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

if I recall correctly, the front cross-member that #14 engine mount   bolts to is a flat  three-piece cross member.  by slim chance was that taken off the two frame end pieces and put back on back wards; meaning on front of end pieces instead of behind. that would be  5/8=3/4 difference. was same model trans put back in?  after almost 50 yrs of pushing wrenches ( and a lot of cans of brake clean later; LOL)  the memory is taxed often.  mack mounts had slight off-set. backward mounting would make installation of the bolts challenging.  being 685 had to be maxi , roadranger would have had different mounts  . are both rubbers being chewed up like in the picture??? with new rubbers ,hood open so you can watch , what happens if you mash fuel pedal quick shot?  engine,trans moving like something broke you can't  see ?  I doubt it. if there was the stick should be moving around every shift. 

47 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

if I recall correctly, the front cross-member that #14 engine mount   bolts to is a flat  three-piece cross member.  by slim chance was that taken off the two frame end pieces and put back on back wards; meaning on front of end pieces instead of behind. that would be  5/8=3/4 difference. was same model trans put back in?  after almost 50 yrs of pushing wrenches ( and a lot of cans of brake clean later; LOL)  the memory is taxed often.  mack mounts had slight off-set. backward mounting would make installation of the bolts challenging.  being 685 had to be maxi , roadranger would have had different mounts  . are both rubbers being chewed up like in the picture??? with new rubbers ,hood open so you can watch , what happens if you mash fuel pedal quick shot?  engine,trans moving like something broke you can't  see ?  I doubt it. if there was the stick should be moving around every shift. 

I am not following you on thr front engine mount crossmember. It's all one big aluminum forging. It would be near impossible to put in backwards.

Only the bottom half of the front isolator is getting chewed up. It is the one carrying all the weight.

one piece   crossmember :  different  set up , disregard  my thought . some units had three-piece  , basically two angle-irons on frame with flat cross-member in between  . engine mount #14 in picture bolted to it. we won't discuss how I know it could be put on wrong ! LOL so that puts things back to rear section.  

12 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

I am not following you on thr front engine mount crossmember. It's all one big aluminum forging. It would be near impossible to put in backwards.

Only the bottom half of the front isolator is getting chewed up. It is the one carrying all the weight.

The front crossmember and mount is very similar to an RW that I have made of steel. Look at it there are spacers between the crossmember and engine mount cradle, at least on mine there are. If all you are wanting is to move the cradle and place the rubber isolator rearward, all else lines up and in place, add 1 inch spacers and longer bolts it there are spacers make them longer. We are all looking at why it is wrong and not solving the problem, it could be the spacers were taken out when it was worked on before. :idunno:

I don't think there is anything wrong with the front mount. When you take the bolts out of the rear mounts and push the engine forward til it goes through that mount, everything looks great. The problem comes in when you have to slide the engine/trans back so that the rear mounts line up.

8 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

No spacers anywhere on this mount. It is a large aluminum forging with the saddle and a clamp that goes over it. No way to adjust anything or put it in wrong.

In my RW there are just the 4 bolts holding the cradle onto the crossmember and no "clamp". Or is the clamp the one that holds the insulator? 

As said before photo's would help a lot to get it right. I will get a photo of what I am talking about today.

Disregard, You have a one piece front mount/crossmember not a two piece as in the illustration further back in this thread. I have only seem them in light weight B & L models. Hope you figure it out.

Edited by AZB755V8
Disregard, Added

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

NOW I SEE ;  forget the front.  we are all in the same book, just wrong page,  to the back we go!!  there has to be a lot of movement some where. even sitting on half the front mount, shouldn't rip rubber  like picture in 3 months. 

The rear isolators were done at the some time as the front.

studying the picture of the 2090 trans earlier post which has mounts installed correctly, could it be possible being an RL  the mounts would go on backwards? I've never seen  mounts turned around; but back in the day mack westerns weren't  common on the east coast.  when  everything is pushed forward and looking good, how far off are the four bolt holes? same distance  +  -  to proper line up if turned around?  stated earlier trans work was done. do you know the same combo was put back? there aren't that many different set ups for bellhousing / mount combos if mack   components  are used .  RR trans would have  different mounts  ,

If the original poster would put up the starting sequence of the truck's vin number as has been asked a couple of times, I may be inclined to impart some knowledge into the matter.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

59 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

studying the picture of the 2090 trans earlier post which has mounts installed correctly, could it be possible being an RL  the mounts would go on backwards? I've never seen  mounts turned around; but back in the day mack westerns weren't  common on the east coast.  when  everything is pushed forward and looking good, how far off are the four bolt holes? same distance  +  -  to proper line up if turned around?  stated earlier trans work was done. do you know the same combo was put back? there aren't that many different set ups for bellhousing / mount combos if mack   components  are used .  RR trans would have  different mounts  ,

Looks like if I flipped the mounts around, it would push the engine too far forward. The driveshaft from the trans to the carrier bearing would not be long enough. Looks like a flip would move the engine forward a couple of inches, maybe more. I don't need that much.

2 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

Looks like if I flipped the mounts around, it would push the engine too far forward. The driveshaft from the trans to the carrier bearing would not be long enough. Looks like a flip would move the engine forward a couple of inches, maybe more. I don't need that much.

He meant IF Western R had those rear mounts ORIGINALLY put backwards and now installed as on the T2090 pic...

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012