R model courtesy light toggle on top of dash

I think they all do that eventually. Replaced a lot of them when they were working regularly. I'll look and see if I still have one on the shelf but no promises. Cole-Hersee was the vendor to Mack as was White-Rogers, (IIRC).

Try liberally spraying electrical contact cleaner into the switch around the toggle handle and work it around good. It is usually corrosive oxidation to the contacts that cause this.

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yes When I wiggle the toggle I can get the 2 out side clearance lights and fender lights to come on. but as soon as I hit a bump they go out. The center 3 markers headlights tail lights all stay on with no issues. its 100% in the switch but I think its original to the truck. I searched online for the number but could not find it. Mack is almost useless with these old dogs. the numbers are there in the system but the new guys behind the counter have to dig deep to find the numbers. if you find a number I will use it and call mack to see if they have any in stock. it should be a common issue in the old truck world. and still a handfull of R models out there working 

Many times you can pull the rubber seal away from the handle with a toothpick and get the cleaner into the switch. Not all were sealed so may not need to do the toothpick treatment. I know I have a complete dash in a cab out back but don't remember if I've robbed the switch or not. Will attempt to look tomorrow.

Does your's have the long handle?

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

PAI still looks to have them Trent. Part number for the screw on spade connectors is: MSW-4395. Part number for the push on spade connectors is: MSW-4378.

• Thanks 1

PAI MSW-4378 switch is described as 2 positions and 6 connectors.

Pretty sure the main light switch in an R-model is 3 position unit. It put headlights in operation when flipped up and probably park lights only when down.

Edited by Vladislav

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

5 hours ago, Vladislav said:

PAI MSW-4378 switch is described as 2 positions and 6 connectors.

Pretty sure the main light switch in an R-model is 3 position unit. It put headlights in operation when flipped up and probably park lights only when down.

Vlad;

I wasn't referencing the main headlamp switch but rather the toggle switch on the upper left dash by the windshield pillar. This switch will turn off the outer cab clearance lamps on the roof along with the tail lamps when pushed forward, and flash the bright headlamp setting when the toggle is pulled rearward. Both positions are momentary and spring return to center which is normal position. The toggle handle is much longer in length than the standard headlamp main switch also.

18 hours ago, Rob said:

Vlad;

I wasn't referencing the main headlamp switch but rather the toggle switch on the upper left dash by the windshield pillar. This switch will turn off the outer cab clearance lamps on the roof along with the tail lamps when pushed forward, and flash the bright headlamp setting when the toggle is pulled rearward. Both positions are momentary and spring return to center which is normal position. The toggle handle is much longer in length than the standard headlamp main switch also.

Rob,

Yes, that top left toggle switch with a longer stick was the 1st thing I got on my mind but I thought I figured that wrong since I knew it was for blinking by high beam. And had no idea it also does anything to the marker lights (and I still don't understand the reason to do that). Are you sure that PAI unit you mentioned is that longer handle one? More seemed to me it's another toggle swich which is located aside to the main one to switch the dash lights. That one has two positions - on and off.

Yes Vlad, they are the ones I've been using when called for. The marker and tail lamp interruption is a way of "thanking" another trucker whom has signaled you it's "OK" to cut back in front of them as you've completed you pass around them. 

Mack doesn't deliver to my place and FleetPride/PAI does, so I reference them first. If my local Mack dealer yielded the service my other vendor's do, they'd get the business without question on my Mack purchases.

Nice clean dash. Don't get to see that too often any longer once a truck goes into service.

Same switch used for a lot of years. My R612 looks just like it with the legend plate still intact.

20 hours ago, Rob said:

Yes Vlad, they are the ones I've been using when called for. The marker and tail lamp interruption is a way of "thanking" another trucker whom has signaled you it's "OK" to cut back in front of them as you've completed you pass around them. 

Mack doesn't deliver to my place and FleetPride/PAI does, so I reference them first. If my local Mack dealer yielded the service my other vendor's do, they'd get the business without question on my Mack purchases.

Rob,  thank you for clearing me up on that clearance lights shut off option. Never knew that and all European or Russian made vehicles driving in my neck of the woods have nothing of such a function. So people thank each other by blinking warning lights.

Here in Moscow I also could locate a few companies which can import PAI parts as their common business (if I have a part number) but purchasing original Mack part is a real headach. So PAI references are very helpful to me in many cases. Another point I'm not always sure a PAI part is made of the same good quality as an OEM original and they in most cases are not the same part. But so far I had no major issue with that.

1 minute ago, Vladislav said:

Rob,  thank you for clearing me up on that clearance lights shut off option. Never knew that and all European or Russian made vehicles driving in my neck of the woods have nothing of such a function. So people thank each other by blinking warning lights.

Here in Moscow I also could locate a few companies which can import PAI parts as their common business (if I have a part number) but purchasing original Mack part is a real headach. So PAI references are very helpful to me in many cases. Another point I'm not always sure a PAI part is made of the same good quality as an OEM original and they in most cases are not the same part. But so far I had no major issue with that.

I have older and newer PAI catalogs and if you need something researched just yell at me as I don't mind looking for you. I've never had a problem with their parts a single time myself and have used them as a vendor well over 20 years. Since closing my shop I'm no longer a distributor for them but I had a hard time meeting minimums even then. We unfortunately do not have the Mack traffic in my area as once did.

PAI has expanded greatly since the beginnings and are still a great resource for our older needs, but even their suppliers are dwindling down. Some of their quality, as well as OEM has suffered as a result.

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

I have older and newer PAI catalogs and if you need something researched just yell at me as I don't mind looking for you. I've never had a problem with their parts a single time myself and have used them as a vendor well over 20 years. Since closing my shop I'm no longer a distributor for them but I had a hard time meeting minimums even then. We unfortunately do not have the Mack traffic in my area as once did.

PAI has expanded greatly since the beginnings and are still a great resource for our older needs, but even their suppliers are dwindling down. Some of their quality, as well as OEM has suffered as a result.

Ok, thank you for offering the help. If any real need I will disturb you by e-mail you once gave me for such reasons.

I think I can get you a new PAI catalog if it would help you out too. I'll ask next time I'm into the truck parts place I use. If so I'll need your mailing address as I've not shipped anything to your country in the past; Netherlands, Chech Republic, and Poland but never Russia.

5 minutes ago, Rob said:

I think I can get you a new PAI catalog if it would help you out too. I'll ask next time I'm into the truck parts place I use. If so I'll need your mailing address as I've not shipped anything to your country in the past; Netherlands, Chech Republic, and Poland but never Russia.

All those are relatively close to each other if looking from your neighbourhood. And the same way to arrange shipping and too probably the same cost (which is sure would be on my side to cover). The offer is very appreciated.In fact having no Mack parts list accessible I'm almost blind when figuring a correct part.

No worries. I have to go in there on Monday to pay a bill so will ask then.

It certainly is easier to find things with a paper catalog over an internet screen for me too.