Mack R headlight panel differences

1 hour ago, h67st said:

I saw these for sale on ebay, part number 116QS373P2 and they're 16-5'8" x 9-1/2"...must be for early trucks.

250.JPG

These look the way they must fit early Eastern R, early DM with a flat front and Eastern F-models.

And I suppose quite difficult to find in new condition.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

48 minutes ago, j hancock said:

I have one similar to the pair above that measures 15.75" X 8.5" with the 6 mounting holes.  I think it may fit an F model COE but I have never confirmed that.  I usually forget I even have it stuck between a couple of boxes on a shelf.

Another use might be the DMM where the panel is mounted vertically.

Mack DMM.JPG

No, DMM ones are different. They have light edges at the centers of the side lines. They're slightly wider in the middle section than at the top and bottom areas. Seem like been of its special to DMM hood style.

There's at least one more known to me shape of those plates which was used on later series DM-models with the front of the hood offsettings forward to allow fitting intercooler. Those are shorter than the R-model ones and differ from DMM style either.

9 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

Uupps! Never seen an R-model with the heater socket located that way.

Otherwise you can use those PAI plates for this style of hood with tabs/framings.

Me neither but Seyser's truck appears to have the heater "socket" bolted through the panel rather than the panel be cut out for the socket as in my 80 R612:

image.jpeg.ffb577ba7acee921ff8cdf9f5f2bfc53.jpeg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

3 minutes ago, Rob said:

Me neither but Seyser's truck appears to have the heater "socket" bolted through the panel rather than the panel be cut out for the socket as in my 80 R612:

Agree, seems like that.

Worth to admitt the original early plate you posted the picture of was made of aluminium and those new PAI ones are SS. Difficult to determine that until they're in your hands and I was very pleased when discower that (and a quite good look either) when purchased my set a few years back. Hope and suppose they still are made that style.

On 1/14/2020 at 2:14 AM, Vladislav said:

Those panels on Eastern and Western R's are completely different. Eastern ones are MUCH longer and I"m afraid (not sure) are less of the higth (narrower). Also Western parts were made of alu and had surface stamped by leaned lines which cross each other.

Eastern panels were different as I said but what's important (to Eastern R owners) they were at least 3 (known to me) styles. Early ones were alu with four (some with six) holes for screws in the corners. The surface was of horizontal stamped lines combining polished and ground (sand-scratched) areas. Those were installed (as I could figure) on early hoods on non-CMAC trucks. The trucks with aircooler (longer hoods) purchased newer panels which were made of stainless steel. The same general design but as I was told by some owners of early R's those newer panels were less in size and didn't fit early hood opening really good. But that's not the end of the list. Later panels were of two different styles too. If you look at pics of Eastern R's you can notice some trucks had framings over the headlight openings in the hood and some didn't. I can't state those parts were installed from/to a sertain production year, more seem to me as an alternative factory option. Nevermind. The panels were different. Those which were used with no framings had four screw holes in the corners. And those which were supposed to be combined with frames had a sticking end at one side (toward the grill) to be slicked in below the framing and two screws in the corners at the outer side. And that is the style (and probably the only one) which you can currently purchase new. They're made by PAI and could be found on ebay etc. Part ## are FPA-5774 for the LH (with a square hole for pre-heater socket) and FPA-5773 for the RH (looking from driving direction) with no hole and you can use on the both sides if no heater to be installed. There's an issue if you're going to use those panels on a hood with no framings (as I did). First you need to cut off that sticking area. Than you find the two holes in the corners at the outer side don't correspond with ones in the hood. Seems like new holes were designed the screws to get into the framing not straight to the hood. And if you try to just put screws they get into the headlight opening not the fiberglass. So some kind of offset plates are needed to be made. And you sure need two more holes to drill at the grill side too.

22water__02009.1365695704.1280.1280.jpg

9638565_orig_resize.jpg

Mack Aluminum Trim 116QS456.1_resize.jpg

This subject has puzzled me for a long time. I asked about it in a thread back in 2014. 

This was the thread.  https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/36092-r-model-hood/?tab=comments#comment-250453

I don't want to confuse things. I just though I would add some more information I discovered since then .  

It reinforces what Vlad said about different appearance options in the different headlight trim surround's .  

It appears to me that the eastern hoods are similar . The difference is the extra plastic headlight trim piece . 

My 1988 doesn't have the extra plastic but my 1985 does.  When I took the plastic piece off the hood is the same underneath . The 4 holes under the plastic piece are the same as the holes in the stainless piece on the 1988. 

Some pics to help show my findings 

Image.jpg.1ce03b051a96aa88cc759d23af8e5e09.jpgIMG_0170.thumb.JPG.1464a68b123a97f867dfb2d539de4a7c.JPG162514497_Image1.jpg.16d364587d84ed98e7c68f1037b4a2c7.jpg

• Like 1

Keith 

7 minutes ago, seyser said:

I suspect the block heater plug was dealer installed on most if not all trucks and was placed in the location at the discretion of the dealer.

If the truck was ordered with a block heater, a panel with a pre-punched receptacle hole was installed on the line. Pre- punched panels were also available though parts operations.

• Like 1

Most of the R models through the years I've seen have had the immersion heater installed and the receptacle cover in the left headlamp bucket as we've seen. I've also seen them around the left front cab mounting, but that probably depends upon customer request.  

• Like 2

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:41 AM, 85snowdog said:

This subject has puzzled me for a long time. I asked about it in a thread back in 2014. 

This was the thread.  https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/36092-r-model-hood/?tab=comments#comment-250453

I don't want to confuse things. I just though I would add some more information I discovered since then .  

It reinforces what Vlad said about different appearance options in the different headlight trim surround's .  

It appears to me that the eastern hoods are similar . The difference is the extra plastic headlight trim piece . 

My 1988 doesn't have the extra plastic but my 1985 does.  When I took the plastic piece off the hood is the same underneath . The 4 holes under the plastic piece are the same as the holes in the stainless piece on the 1988. 

Some pics to help show my findings 

I have some feelings that Canadian factory way of arranging truck's setup could be involved. All my R's or even better to say all 5 SGT trucks imported to Russia were assembled in Oakville. And they didn't have plastic surrounds being 1988 year made. I might be wrong but it seems to me the most Macungie R's were equipped with those extra framings.

3 hours ago, Vladislav said:

I have some feelings that Canadian factory way of arranging truck's setup could be involved. All my R's or even better to say all 5 SGT trucks imported to Russia were assembled in Oakville. And they didn't have plastic surrounds being 1988 year made. I might be wrong but it seems to me the most Macungie R's were equipped with those extra framings.

The plastic surrounds (headlamp bezels) being part number 6QS4190A.

18 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

The plastic surrounds (headlamp bezels) being part number 6QS4190A.

Thank you Kevin. My final solution was to not install them on the truck since 1st it came off the assembly line without them and 2nd it would be one (even 2) extra parts to care about. So hood is done without them. I just had to tinker with SS plates since they were originally of that style to suite the sorrounds.

• Like 1