Camelback parts

I used the scaler to get the heavy rust off my parts; when the weather is decent I'll get them sandblasted.

image.thumb.jpeg.598dd811100bac9bb571b9574b8df1ba.jpeg

These go on top of the leaf springs, under the axles. I got the drawings from the Mack museum and they call them "buttons" but there's no part number on the drawing. They have little coil springs inside them to keep them from dancing around but as you can see the springs will have to be replaced. I've seen other camelbacks that have rubber insulators in place of these...if anybody knows if I can replace these with the rubber insulators let me know.

image.thumb.jpeg.dc649c68a92153423a9a31eecb5d701f.jpeg

• Like 1

Do you mean those "buttons" were installed inside cavits in axle housings? Strange to me since my military Mack made in 1945 already had rubber pads for both the top and the bottom of the springs. Maybe the reason was my Camelback is 44000 and yours looks lighter, I'd say 34000. I'm not ready to give 100% bulletproof advice but if I were you I'd look for Mack rubber pads of different sizes and try to use suitable ones in place of the buttons. Should admitt in most cases Camelback rubber pad destroy occures lower pads. And upper ones are found worn quite seldom.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

4 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

That is something I haven’t seen in a very long time. But I don’t recall the part numbers. 

I think that’s the first I’ve heard that you didn’t remember a part #.    I almost thought you where some kinda robot. Lol! Just busting on you. Don’t take any offense to it.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

Hmm, that sounds right. 

And the lower rubber spring pads I recall are not the common 10QK36B, but rather a different one.

My lower pads are stamped 10QK36A-5 but when I look up the dimensions online it comes up as a 10QK36B. They are available from PAI, Euclid, Atro, etc. I may have to use the buttons & springs because the hole in the top leaf spring is too small to use the rubber insulators in the upper position (hole in bottom leaf spring is larger).

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

I’d like him to look at his truck’s 3QK rear suspension arrangement at a dealer.

My arrangement # is 3QKA532AP15; I sent it to Barry at Watts and he said they don't have any of those drawings. I got a schematic of that arrg. number from the Mack museum but there are no part numbers on it. I googled the numbers you all gave me above and none of them come up as available.

18 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

So Mack dealers can’t look up older parts arrangements anymore? Sad.

Yes, 10QK36A supersedes to 36B (10QK388 is/was the urethane option).

You don’t have the truck’s line sheet?

They sent me the line sheet but the print copy is terrible...they said some of their originals are not in good enough shape to read a lot of the info.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, br549 said:

I looked up the 10qk 365 and 370 and I was wrong, they show1.749 pin just like the 10qk36 pin.  Back in the day I thought they had a top pad with a small pin but I can't find it.

Thank you for trying!!

On 11/18/2019 at 9:11 PM, h67st said:

My lower pads are stamped 10QK36A-5 but when I look up the dimensions online it comes up as a 10QK36B. They are available from PAI, Euclid, Atro, etc. I may have to use the buttons & springs because the hole in the top leaf spring is too small to use the rubber insulators in the upper position (hole in bottom leaf spring is larger).

First thing which comes on my mind is drilling a larger hole in the leaf. But further figuring tells it might make the leave's end weaker. So seems better to machine the pad's pin. It's steel or cast iron so could be machined with a right equipement or cut in size with a grinder and I doubt it would be any less strong than a factory pad with smaller pin.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012