Front brake hardware

I'm trying to put my front axle together; as you can see the shoe anchor pins are loose in their holes (and one fell out). I tried to curl the hollow point rivet ends to tighten them up, but they are really hard. Does anybody know where I can get replacements or a good way to replace these?

191102.JPG

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

My rivet setter fits in an air hammer; I flailed on that thing but it still wouldn't tighten it up. One problem is the other end is so skinny, it started to deform so I quit. I guess Mack had a special jig to hold it while they bucked the rivet.

21 hours ago, h67st said:

My rivet setter fits in an air hammer; I flailed on that thing but it still wouldn't tighten it up. One problem is the other end is so skinny, it started to deform so I quit. I guess Mack had a special jig to hold it while they bucked the rivet.

Did to try a truck brake shop for replacements or if they have a tool for installing them?

If not I would try a little heat, try to re-rivet it and quench it with light weight oil. Can you catch the pin in a vise at all? Another alternative is to drill and tap the back to bolt it into the backing plate.   You could also try braising or a few mig tacks to lock the pin to the backing plate. I don't recall seeing them as separate parts you can get

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That really is not bad at all being all inclusive. I know having the rears on the B-673 relined and all wheel end hardware, (F&R) was right at $650.00. Finding that older stuff is difficult and they had to grind the friction material to the proper contour which is a long forgotten process.

image.jpeg.e5386e73d3e0430549ed0d90649c1d26.jpeg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.