Swap Detroit In A B81sx?

therabbittree

I am wondering is any body has seen a 12v71 in a B81sx?..I heard some people had seen a 671 in a b61 ..the b81 has alonger hood and the 671 and 12v71 are the same length... but th v models are wider and not as tall .I am think a 12v71 may fit a b81sx.. I have a line on a 12v71 ..might make a nice project.

any ideas?

thanks

Deo

Keep on keeping on...

I am wondering  is any body has seen a 12v71 in a B81sx?..I heard some people had seen a 671 in a b61 ..the b81 has alonger hood and the 671 and 12v71 are the same length... but th v models are wider and not as tall .I am think a 12v71 may fit a b81sx.. I have a line on a 12v71 ..might make a nice project.

any ideas?

thanks

Deo

lord hates a coward deo. let it happen. you'll have one of a kind with a sound all it's own. j.j. :SMOKIE-LFT:

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

yeah im hoping i can make it work ..the detroits torque is not that high and much higher in the rpm range ..so i think if i can keep the 20spd quad box it would be neat. I i can find a 6x6 mack mixer to part out it would be cool to make it a 6x6... ;) I do know where there is a old oshkosh 6x6 with a 671 in it that is rough sitiing out size with broken windows and trash inside it i keep stopping by and checking it. I has a wierd front drive axle not the normal rear end looking style. I looks simlar toa tractor axle ie cast housing tapered axle tubes etc..i wonder what weight rating it would be?...I'll havbe to see if i can still get that 12v71.... I hope so. I heard of a 12v71 brockway going for scrap two weeks ago also..made me sick to my stomach....argh..got to keep looking for parts. Most of my freinds are not into trucks and think I'm crazy. Ha the friends i have that are into trucks still think im nuts.

HAHA

Later

Deo

Keep on keeping on...

• 3 weeks later...
yeah im hoping i can make it work ..the detroits torque is not that high and much higher in the rpm range ..so i think if i can keep the 20spd quad box it would be neat. I i can find a 6x6 mack mixer to part out  it would be cool to make it a 6x6... ;)  I do know where there is a old oshkosh 6x6 with a 671 in it  that is rough sitiing out size with broken windows and trash inside it i keep stopping by and checking it. I has a wierd front drive axle not the normal rear end looking style. I looks simlar toa tractor axle ie cast housing tapered axle tubes etc..i wonder what weight rating it would be?...I'll havbe to see if i can still get that 12v71.... I hope so. I heard of a 12v71 brockway going for scrap two weeks ago also..made me sick to my stomach....argh..got to keep looking for parts. Most of my freinds are not into trucks and think I'm crazy. Ha the friends i have that are into trucks still think im nuts.

HAHA

Later

Deo

Found these two Kenworth w925's. For 10 grand you get 2 cruddy kenworths with 12v71's. Lots of parts too. They are in Oregon so if your on the east coast then its gonna be a long haul. The sound they produce is nothing short if incredible. Someone has a site with actual sound clips of a 12v71 in a pulling truck. The site is http://www.telusplanet.net/public/ryq/.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Last I heard, GMC was giving away a free oil catch pan with every engine. You know, stop, slide the catch pan under the truck, then pour the oil in a container and then go down the road!!

Ford is now makeing heated tailgates as an option on there diesel pickups so that in the winter, you buddies don't get frostbite when they hand push you to the Ford Store to get it repaired - - -again!! Laffin

I've got a Dodge diesel and am in love with it - - - 14mpg around town, 19- 20 on the highway ( at 2000 rpm).

Love the 6 speed, love the motor - - - Sure wish it had a Chevy cab!!!

(I can almost here the backlash now!!!)

I drive what I drive cause I worked on a lot of cummins in my life and really dig 'um. Couldn't get a cummions in a Chev so took second best.

If there were only one other manufactuer out there, we would not have anything to "Mine's better than your's" about and this forem would fall flat. The 'OTHER' would be Mack, of course! :-)

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Packer,

When you come out to visit this spring to Indiana, I have an orange superduty that Is just wanting to pull that dodge by its tail... That is if you want to ride your new goat all the way across the country.. He Haw.. just kidding, So you got your new truck, great for you now you have incresed your junk hauling in capabilities. Now you need a big ole gooseneck to go with it.

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

I forget sometimes that we are "historical transportion meusem archivist". I had to move my treasures around the other day. I figure if I move them and have them change position in the back lot that they won't look like "junk". The other day I was at work and I was talking to a guy that I was working on his 6.0 and got to talking about Macks( some how I have a talent for changing to the subject) anyway's he starts go on about this guy thats got a bunch of those old things in his back yard and he would stop at talk to the guy for me.... guess who showed up at my place on Saturday........

Fred :SMOKIE-LFT:

15 gears...no waiting!

mummn well the 12v71 i had a line on was sold a week after my intial call ..oh well.. i ma intersted in those kws man sucks to be poor my wife already barely allowed me to by that b 81 ha...we just bought a van for the family too..mummnn my brother lives out in seattle may have to check it out... as for the cat b model..man funny you mentioned that ..i was thinking about that myself as a freind has one for sale also..figured you could get aALOT of power pretty easy with one of them...if you built it right..the cooling capacity has been bugging me too not sure how i would do that.....i thought of aE7 turned up with different injectors and teh computer tuning box ..supposedly good for 600 hp that way...mummn if i sell some of my cars i could have aenought $ to do something bad ha..how much did you want for your 3406 b?

thanks

Deo

Keep on keeping on...

mummn well the 12v71 i had a line on was sold a week after my intial call ..oh well.. i ma intersted in those kws  man sucks to be poor my wife already barely allowed me to by that b 81 ha...we just bought a van for the family too..mummnn my brother lives out in seattle may have to check it out... as for the cat  b model..man funny you mentioned that ..i was thinking about that myself as a freind has one for sale also..figured you could get aALOT of power pretty easy with one of them...if you built it right..the cooling capacity has been bugging me too not sure how i would do that.....i thought of  aE7 turned up with different injectors and teh computer tuning box ..supposedly good for 600 hp that way...mummn if i sell some of my cars i could have aenought $ to do something bad  ha..how much did you want for your 3406 b?

thanks

Deo

Cooling would be a big prolem but there is no saying you couldent put an aux radiator behind the cab or two smaller ones on the sides if you have the room. Each one could also have its own electric fan.

-Thad

I work for Detroit Diesel Corporation here in Detroit, You couldnt pay me to put a Series 60 a truck if i was to buy an brand new one. With EPA 2007 coming i would put my money on Cummins, they are ready for it. Caterpillar is struggling with the regeneration. I am both Caterpillar and Detroit Certified. I'll always favor the yellow engines.

I have a Dodge with the Cummins (my 3rd truck). I can go 465 miles on a tank of fuel, i get about 21 per gallon, and this is a 4 x 4 extended cab shortbox. 140,000 miles, oil chaged every 4,000 miles and valves adjusted every 20,000. Being Detroit is owned by Diamler Chrysler i can get a discount for a new one but why go new when the old is fine right?

I have a B73 with the larger radiator and i "thought" about putting a NTC400 or a NTC350 Big Cam in. I would of course prefer the 400 JWAC Caterpillar!

:mack1:

yeah I too am a cummins fan , I have a few b series, I have a first gen cummins dodge with twins on it and my dad has 2002 24 valve..great trucks... still debating what to repower the b81 with to make some power.. my friend is also a detroit mechanic. He doesn't like the new egr series 60s...He and I both agree that we think the pre egr 14L 575 hp series 60 was the best...the series 50 320 hp engiens make great 6 wheeler dumps etc... as for 2 strokers ..i have 2 6v92, was debating making a 12v92 but its a pain in the butt and not too useful if you were gonna work it..got 2 353s and 1 1/2 6v53s.. always thought a 353 would be nice in a t bucket with a jake...mine be best top put a E7 in my B 81 and turn it up...

talk to you guys later.

Deo

Keep on keeping on...

I am wondering is any body has seen a 12v71 in a B81sx?..I heard some people had seen a 671 in a b61 ..the b81 has alonger hood and the 671 and 12v71 are the same length... but th v models are wider and not as tall .I am think a 12v71 may fit a b81sx.. I have a line on a 12v71 ..might make a nice project.

any ideas?

thanks

Deo

What's wrong with a 672 inch 2-valve mack with an APE pump with 11 mm barrels? I have gotten alot of power out of these engines with a little recalibration of the fuel settings. Move the stop plate in the govener foward and I'll bet you can get 400 HP or more out of an 672 with a turbo. But it will break that quad box, they were only rated for about 700 foot pounds of torque.

Joe

What's wrong with a 672 inch 2-valve mack with an APE pump with 11 mm barrels? I have gotten alot of power out of these engines with a little recalibration of the fuel settings. Move the stop plate in the govener foward and I'll bet you can get 400 HP or more out of an 672 with a turbo. But it will break that quad box, they were only rated for about 700 foot pounds of torque.

Joe

Joe, that is exactly what I did with a "711" motor. Had the pump rebuilt for more power with 11m barrels & plungers, did away with "syncrovance", adjusted timing and added a hopped up turbo. Upon chaining the truck to a dyno, the horsepower and torque were much higher, but I could not keep head gaskets in the engine. After three attempts to make 300+ reliable horsepower, and blowing the head gasket at #2 cylinder each time, I finally removed both heads, had them completely rebuilt, (including new valves, springs, and guides), put it all back together to have the same thing happen again!!

I have not given up on the project, just ran out of time. I "straight edged" the block, and it is within tolerance, and the engine does not burn oil so I therefore am not willing to dump a lot of money into rebuilding it. Would have liked to blame the head gasket manufactures, (Victor/Reinz, and Fel-Pro) but with the blown part of the head gaskets at the same place each time, I'm not so sure.

If you have any ideas of what I may have done wrong, please give me some advice!!

Rob

rob@autoaffair.com

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Joe, that is exactly what I did with a "711" motor. Had the pump rebuilt for more power with 11m barrels & plungers, did away with "syncrovance", adjusted timing and added a hopped up turbo. Upon chaining the truck to a dyno, the horsepower and torque were much higher, but I could not keep head gaskets in the engine. After three attempts to make 300+ reliable horsepower, and blowing the head gasket at #2 cylinder each time, I finally removed both heads, had them completely rebuilt, (including new valves, springs, and guides), put it all back together to have the same thing happen again!!

I have not given up on the project, just ran out of time. I "straight edged" the block, and it is within tolerance, and the engine does not burn oil so I therefore am not willing to dump a lot of money into rebuilding it. Would have liked to blame the head gasket manufactures, (Victor/Reinz, and Fel-Pro) but with the blown part of the head gaskets at the same place each time, I'm not so sure.

If you have any ideas of what I may have done wrong, please give me some advice!!

Rob

rob@autoaffair.com

Rob the 711 had 20 stud heads but it didn't have fire rings on top of the liners like a Maxidyne or an ENDT673C. Most of the 711s didn't have the oil sprays for piston cooling either or a provision on the block to add them so you had to watch how hard you pushed them when they were turned way up. I got away with hot rodding them a bit if they were in short duty cycle applications like dump trucks for around the city where you load them hard and then let them cool off. I'm just curious how long are your head gaskets lasting?

Rob the 711 had 20 stud heads but it didn't have fire rings on top of the liners like a Maxidyne or an ENDT673C. Most of the 711s didn't have the oil sprays for piston cooling either or a provision on the block to add them so you had to watch how hard you pushed them when they were turned way up. I got away with hot rodding them a bit if they were in short duty cycle applications like dump trucks for around the city where you load them hard and then let them cool off. I'm just curious how long are your head gaskets lasting?

Hi Joe, thanks for the reply. This truck is not one that is used. I was playing with it as there was a challenge to make it run better. It is a 64 B-61 and was not built with a turbo from the factory. I don't know that much about diesels in general, but the later models get a lot more usability from the same size engine, so I figgered what the hell, why not try. This engine to the best of my knowlege, has never been apart in the lower end. I put it all back together the last time with the original pump, injectors, and exhaust manifold, so it is back to bone stock and runs very well as is. I've probably put maybe 300 or so miles on it since last year and that is empty so there is no real usage.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've probably put maybe 300 or so miles on it since last year and that is empty so there is no real usage.

Thanks,

Rob

It sounds like you must have some kind of problem with a liner or a counterbore. if you have it apart again check the liner heights. Most times this isn't very critical on a inline 6 Mack but who knows these things are getting a little old. 300 miles is nothing on a turned up 711 they should last a couple of hundred thousand.

• 4 months later...

Update.. I am checking out a 12v71 from a generator the end of this week...and I have a line on a Allison 740 trans rebuilt..so its looking good to have the parts to swap a 12v71 into my B81SX...If it works out i should be really cool..

later

Deo

Keep on keeping on...

Update.. I am checking out a 12v71 from a generator the end of this week...and I have a line on a Allison 740 trans rebuilt..so its looking good to have the parts to swap a 12v71 into my B81SX...If it works out i should be really cool..

later

Deo

sounds good, keep us posted.

-Thad