Type-45 master cylinder access

Pacifica Pete

Has anyone out there made a modification to the floor to allow easier checking of brake fluid? I'm thinking of cutting a hole and fitting some sort of access hatch or plug so that the fluid level can be checked without removing the floor, or my current method of choice- reach up from under the truck and stick my finger in the reservoir (does this make me a human dip-stick?).  Some may view this as a sacrilegious move, but I'm trying to remove barriers to safe operation in hopes that this rig will be cared for and operated into the future. 

-Pete

10 hours ago, Pacifica Pete said:

any pics of your mod?

-Pete

Sorry, no pictures.  I don't even own that truck anymore.

Here is a drawing of what it looked like.  Made a metal circle larger than the access hole.  Bent a couple of tabs down the same diameter of the access hole.  The tabs and the weight of the floor mat kept it from moving around.

Being that yours is a fire rig with probably no floor mat, I would use a piece of metal held in with a couple of screws or Dzus fasteners that could be obtained through a local hot rod shop or Summit Racing.  See link.

A couple of minutes messing with the screws or Dzus fasteners is better than going under the truck to check the cylinder.

https://www.southco.com/en-us/product/hierarchy.html?hid=7345

floor door - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my 52 Type 75A. I added a remote tank under the passenger seat that is plumbed to a replacement cap that I threaded a hose barb into. Here is a link to the tank: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G35Q3U/?coliid=I1ZCP2O7IVJ7A9&colid=K1HH1OB1LY8D&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!