1988 Mack MH6122 4x4 tractor

Superdog

On 8/1/2019 at 9:04 AM, CaptainCrutch said:

Mike I might be seriously looking at it, but without a price I can’t even really look at it, between restoring the two trucks we have and dad having to take off of work for a year to have heart surgery, not to mention grandpa recently being confined to a wheelchair, we don’t really have the money to buy a new truck right now. But if we had the money the worst we’d do to it is paint it up and put new wheels and tires on it and it’d go right back to being an OTR tractor hauling grandpa’s firetrucks to shows now instead of box trailers. What I’m trying to say is I’m sure there’s others out there who could give this truck a good home they just don’t have the cash right now to buy it, especially since it being so rare is probably gonna drive up the price...

I really hope it goes to a good place though, I hate to see any old truck go to waste. Even parting it out is better than letting it rot away or turning it into scrap metal... especially a historic piece like this! It deserves to be back on the road!

its not gonna go to waste,get parted out or turned to scrap metal

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That's a fascinating rig, I like the step frame.  Glad it escaped being scrapped.

This may not be a great idea, but if you can't find any buyers, do you think the Iowa 80 Museum might want it?  I'm guessing they wouldn't give you very much for it,  but it would be sheltered from the elements and in a place where people could view it and appreciate it.  That 4x4 MH would enhance an already excellent truck collection.  

Another option might be to loan it to the museum, and if enough interest in the truck is generated, you might find someone who would pay a favorable price for it.

Are the frame rails one piece or is that a z bracket in there to do the offset?

Tulsa Equipment used to convert trucks using what they called a z bracket to keep the rear frame at standard height for a fifthwheel.

What front axle and transfer case are in it, for that matter what are the specs?

On 8/13/2019 at 7:18 PM, waukesha said:

That's a fascinating rig, I like the step frame.  Glad it escaped being scrapped.

This may not be a great idea, but if you can't find any buyers, do you think the Iowa 80 Museum might want it?  I'm guessing they wouldn't give you very much for it,  but it would be sheltered from the elements and in a place where people could view it and appreciate it.  That 4x4 MH would enhance an already excellent truck collection.  

Another option might be to loan it to the museum, and if enough interest in the truck is generated, you might find someone who would pay a favorable price for it.

The step frame is alike a B426.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Have been towing for UPS since the 70s and have never saw one offered to the public for sale..All trucks trailers package cars etc are towed or transported to a licensed recycler to be scrapped. A UPS rep is there  to make sure it is carried out...Someone got lucky to get this MH ...I myself started towing for them when they still had F Model Macks and Diamond Reo C/Os...Hope this MH finds a good home....

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I was only telling my brother about this truck a few weeks ago as he was talking about getting a 6x6 something or other but has also thought about a Cruiseliner or Ultraliner

I suggested maybe between a exarmy 6x6 R model and a Cruiseliner he could make something pretty special, even sent him the link to the specs on these and the Australian Army R models ,  same front axle and transfer case  in both I believe 

Anyway he bought a Tatra 6x6 375 hp job from QLD

Goes ok he tells me but I doubt it will ever have the cool factor

Paul

• 1 year later...