Rear axle bearings odd sizes????

Bud’s

Hello there,

I have a 1985 R688ST Econodyne, I recently had purchased a stud pilot to hub pilot conversion kit from Donnie at global truck sales, only to find out that the serial number on my truck does not match the line card on my truck. I soon found out that the bearing sizes Donnie sent me we’re too small  after I tore the passenger side completely apart, I found out the spindle tube sizes were much larger than what the line card and Mack had told me.

Once I realized the bearings and everything would not work I looked at the existing bearings that had came off with the hub assembly. 

My inner bearing is a 598A

My outer bearing is a HM617049/HM617010 cone and cup

Has anybody else came across this odd bearing combination? If so what is the proper hub for it? 

I have six bolt axles and I believe my rear ends are 44,000 pound.

I cannot find any information on this odd bearing combo nor the proper hub part number. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks,Rob.

Edited by Bud’s
Wrong size of the rears

On conversions and such I've done, (usually spoke to Budd, or unimount) I've taken the wheel end apart and physically ensure what I have before ordering parts. Far too many times through the years parts or assemblies get swapped for one reason or another and the line set ticket is then in error. It's an honest mistake but does happen. Those guys at Global are pretty good about taking parts back if you cannot use them, but that doesn't help you much.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yeah.....

I live here in northern Ontario, Canada the shipping is going to kill me sending this stuff back to Global in the US.  I have searched the Internet high and low, have spoke to one mechanic and he figures that I can machine these hubs to fit the existing oversized cups and cones  that are currently on my truck. It would be nice to know what the original inboard hub assembly part number is. I figured if anybody would know, it would  be somebody on this forum. Mack  built this truck with these rear ends in it, I can’t see it being the only truck in the world built like this.  I did locate the original part number on the axle housing itself which is  19QF5236.

The Inner bearing combination is set number 404,which isn’t bad as far as pricing.

But the outer being Hm617049/HM617010  is ridiculously priced.

Nothing has been easy for me when it comes to getting answers on this particular truck I have.

@6368

Is that rare? Is that why the bearings are oversized? You wouldn’t happen to know the hub number that matches up with these 44,000 pound housings would you?

Edited by Bud’s
I asked another question

Does the axle shaft you removed match the bolt patter on the hubs they sent you? also what bearings did they send you .  Most 38, 40, 44 have a 3.750 id on the inner bearing ...yours 3.6250

The seals that global sent me are SKF 42673  The OD fits, the ID of them is too small. The seals that are currently on my truck are 309-0960  which crosses over to an SKF 48000. The id is 4.75 and the od is 6.25.

@Rob I found the stainless steel tag on the front rear end housing, but you’re saying that there will be stampings directly on the steel bowl of the axle housing itself?

45 minutes ago, Bud’s said:

The seals that global sent me are SKF 42673  The OD fits, the ID of them is too small. The seals that are currently on my truck are 309-0960  which crosses over to an SKF 48000. The id is 4.75 and the od is 6.25.

@Rob I found the stainless steel tag on the front rear end housing, but you’re saying that there will be stampings directly on the steel bowl of the axle housing itself?

Mack housings do not have stainless tags I know of. Rockwell, (Meritor) axles do. Are these not Mack drop in from the top differential carriers? If they are front loading differentials the tag contains the information needed.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

14 minutes ago, Rob said:

Mack housings do not have stainless tags I know of. Rockwell, (Meritor) axles do. Are these not Mack drop in from the top differential carriers? If they are front loading differentials the tag contains the information needed.

My differentials on my 1988 we just bought begs to differ. 

Yes they are Mack top loaders 

CRD92 &CRD93 carriers 4.17 ratio

camel back suspension 60” axle spread.

@Rob  where are you saying the information is on these axle housings? My top load carriers are stamped with their own information,  i’m going to post a picture of the axle tag that I found on the housing, apparently a company called Hayes-Dana Inc. built these housings.

serial#B310 144634

part #19QF5236

date-8/22/84

high strength steel

First set of Mack housings I've ever seen a tag on but newer than my exposure relates to. Rear suspensions with that cap over the trunion bar are usually bronze bushed, greaseable, and heavier than 38K rating. Probably 44K as referenced earlier.

I'm still trying to figure out how this company could possibly know what to sell you, to change from spoke to disc.

Only a Mack dealer, or the Mack Specifications Department via a changeover request, could accurately determine what the truck was built with originally...........and what you would need to effect the change.

If the springs are Mack, what is the 4QK number stamped on one of the two "T's" at the ends of the springs?

Yes Rob, I replaced the trunnion due to the fact that the shaft was completely worn out on my existing stand, they are bronze greaseable  bushings.

The original Mack Camelback spring packs have been replaced With aftermarket ones, hi did not look at the old ones as far as numbers being stamped on the  T ends  of the original packs.

Global truck was able to find out the same information that the Mack dealer in Winnipeg told me.

The carriers were swapped out by a old Mack  dealer here in Thunderbay years ago. 

They removed the CRD/92/93 carriers that had a ratio of 4.42 and replace them with CRD/92/93 4.17 ratio carriers  according to  Mack  Winnipeg .

Both the front axle and both of the rear end axles were converted from spoke to stud pilot According to Mack Winnipeg.

You know you could have 38,000lb diffs. 38’s have a larger diameter spindle, and are always a fabricated housing. 38’s also have 6 bolt axles.

I’ve got a 38 at our shed which is disassembled so I could grab bearing numbers if you’d like me to?