Particulate filter

I dunno nothing about these but was wondering could these be fitted to a older Mack motor and if they were would they help to clean up the black smoke ?

I was thinking that even in Australia we have pollution law's and although Mrs Mack rarely makes into the big smoke she does on a rare occasion venture into Australia's biggest cities and all it would take is for some over educated knob head to make a complaint and it could become a head ache

Appreciate any thoughts on fitting one of these

Paul 

I know of someone with a DPF on a GMC Astro 95 with I believe a 6V92T. He hauls into California some times and it's required even on old trucks there, apparently. If they can clean up the output from a Detroit, I'm sure something can be retrofitted to your Mack 😛

• Like 1

Someone told me a few years ago that UPS saw a 15% uptick in fuel consumption when Biodiesel or w/e was mandated, which has 15%? less emissions. I've never verified it, so it's just hearsay, haven't looked into it. Kinda negates the effort if it's true.....

• Like 1

We ended up switching to biodiesel blend on recommendation of the equipment shop that did our injection pump and injector rebuilds, D&W Diesel in Albany, NY. Apparently for pumps designed in the high sulfur days, the added lubricity helps a lot. They said to run Stanadyne if blended fuel wasn't available. I always thought the fuel islands where blended fuel *was* available smelled exactly like Stanadyne!

46 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Someone told me a few years ago that UPS saw a 15% uptick in fuel consumption when Biodiesel or w/e was mandated, which has 15%? less emissions. I've never verified it, so it's just hearsay, haven't looked into it. Kinda negates the effort if it's true.....

Running 10% ethanol in gasoline reduces emissions but also lowers MPG between 25 and 33%,  since bio diesel requires more of it to generate thermal energy equal to straight diesel it make sense you will use more.

That said Cat and Sandvik-Tamrock make diesel powered underground mine trains and trams that through a series of exhaust coolers and particle filter burn 90% clean in conjunction with running ultra clean diesel and minimal electronics and no DPF

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Running 10% ethanol in gasoline reduces emissions but also lowers MPG between 25 and 33%, 

If your talking petrol with ethanol I would question those figures 

I have run E10 (10% ethanol) in my petrol vehicals ever since E10 came out and have never noticed any difference in performance or fuel economy 

Both old carby motors and new EFI motors seem to run the same

High compression motors are a different kettle of fish, but normal 10 - 1 compression motors are fine in my experience 

Paul 

Our 07 Rousche Focus and our 2017 Fusion both get 2 to 3.5 mpg more on real gas. Performance seems close on both fuels. In the mid to northeastern U.S. we get different blends for winter and summer, with winter blend being "oxygenated" on top of the ethanol, that could be the difference between where you and I are.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE