Red Dot R-8810-MR

This is the part number that is on my unit in the cab on my 1985 RS688LST

I have been unable to find any reference to this unit on the Red Dot website or in there parts book. Does anyone have any information on this unit and know if parts are still available? I need the evaporator core and expansion valve

3ef067779edb2743edeacdcb8c939c0a.jpg

8e023cff1ab13c96b1bd4ed48e2e2c09.jpg

That system is vendored as OEM to Mack trucks and will be supported through Mack and not the manufacturer. Red Dot was/is an OEM supplier still and they don't sell OEM parts in their replacement parts channels.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Let me know if they will sell to you direct. Neither  Red Dot, nor Kysor would sell OEM supplied parts retail well into the early 2000's. If that has changed, I'm unaware.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I just went through the A/C in a 1988 RW and converted the R-12 system to R-134. APPEX in Phoenix was a big help with all the parts and had most in stock.
You will have the old R-12 if not converted already.

What do you have to change to convert from R-12 to R-134?

To convert system is replacing the condenser coil in the grill, expansion valve, pump, high pressure switch, dryer and higher pressure lines. Use the same evaporator coil and everything else. I had the Grilldenser used in the 88 Superliners and switched to the 94-96 CL700, R134 condenser which fit perfectly under the air to air engine intercooler, smaller and works better. I used the original Grilldenser the first time with R134 pump and other parts, it worked but not well and seized up the pump after a year. This time I installed the new condenser coil, used the A/C this past week and could not keep it on high fan for long, it is cold!

If you need part number I have the invoices, let me know. Whole thing with parts and R134 charge was around $1100.

The name of the place is APPAK not appax. Phone: 602-254-1116. Great customer service.

Please give me the part numbers

I have the grill denser on mine, which is in place of the original center grill

What did you do for the grill?

Can you post some pictures of the condenser installation?

Did you switch the compressor from the York style to the saden style?

6 hours ago, Rob said:

Let me know if they will sell to you direct. Neither  Red Dot, nor Kysor would sell OEM supplied parts retail well into the early 2000's. If that has changed, I'm unaware.

They  sent parts for the Red Dot in my R with no issues. Mine was the 8810 MRO unit but 90% is the same as the 8810 MR.

Their  business is truck and equipment HVAC with Red Dot and other brands

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I installed adjustable Sporlan TXV's and discharge side filtration into my systems when converting to R-134 and they work well. I did use new "York" style piston compressors. Did not change the coils as was able to adjust delta t adequately with the valve. I'm needing some faceplate parts namely the round discharge are diffusors, (vents) as mine are missing. These although produced by Red Dot, were not supplied as replacements through them or their dealers; only OEM Mack at the time. They are now discontinued. Was always going to make something but have yet to do it..... 

Not saying it’s right; but when I ran out of R12, I put 134 in & never changed anything. Finally the slow leak showed up in a hose & replaced it & it runs to the day. John Deere 4455.

Edited by 1965

4 hours ago, Rob said:

I installed adjustable Sporlan TXV's and discharge side filtration into my systems when converting to R-134 and they work well. I did use new "York" style piston compressors. Did not change the coils as was able to adjust delta t adequately with the valve. I'm needing some faceplate parts namely the round discharge are diffusors, (vents) as mine are missing. These although produced by Red Dot, were not supplied as replacements through them or their dealers; only OEM Mack at the time. They are now discontinued. Was always going to make something but have yet to do it..... 

It is possible that Red Dot will sell the parts after Mack considers them obsolete and no longer stocks them.

Edited by Phase 1

8 minutes ago, Quickfarms said:

Is the evaporator the same ?

The evaporator coil is the same, I just had mine tested for $20 and reused.

This is what the parts look like installed. Just cap your Grilldener ports and reroute the lines to the condenser mounted under the air2air.

Optimized-MAC5.thumb.JPG.a5b1ee5f2b55552c7741be4019773176.JPG

Part numbers for: Pump, Condenser, Dryer and showing expansion valve.
Optimized-MAc7.thumb.JPG.b2b8ad4c3aa0aa7593fcc163b48f6c03.JPG

Installed with new Condenser, Dryer, High pressure switch, New high pressure lines. Don't forget to get the high pressure tap in your hose fitting, I did the first time. (red cap)
Optimized-mA4.thumb.JPG.d86887b15679b057abe9d6f7d769b5dc.JPG

New pump, was shinny until running in rain for a couple of hours. Get low pressure tap in hose fitting. (blue cap)

nOptimized-Ma3.thumb.JPG.692cb70acc0997469365659ab7e48a6b.JPG

New condenser mounted under the air2air between radiator and hood bracket.

Optimized-MaC8.thumb.JPG.b8c2b7fd8164893f70511fa50c04b771.JPG

Driver side view of condenser. Plenty of room but I did move the radiator back 1 inch. It was not needed with this version of condenser coil that is thinner than older ones.

Optimized-M1.thumb.JPG.d3b748e8a58886ec82e7f35f2ac66417.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quickfarms said:

Is the evaporator the same ?

Mine had a rad mounted evap not the grildenzer.  No OEM are available but after market which is taller and thinner.

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

5 hours ago, Rob said:

I'm needing some faceplate parts namely the round discharge are diffusors, (vents) as mine are missing. These although produced by Red Dot, were not supplied as replacements through them or their dealers; only OEM Mack at the time. They are now discontinued. Was always going to make something but have yet to do it..... 

Speedway,  Jeggs and Vintage Air have a dozen or so different hot rod style diffusors in different diameters with or with out housings, inexpensive also.

P.T.CHESHIRE

50 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

Mine had a rad mounted evap not the grildenzer.  No OEM are available but after market which is taller and thinner.

The evaporator coil is in the air box under the dash. The condenser coil is mounted in front of the radiator or a Grilldenser. Maybe a little confusion there. i did have to find the one condenser coil that matched the size I had to fit it into. The CL 700 parts worked perfectly and I did have to tell the parts guy to special order it. Just as You said the current part as a little different in size sometimes. The new part I used was smaller and does work better in the RW.

I used the Red Dot parts that are currently made and sold by the OEM, Red Dot, and others that cross reference them. Mack may not have them but Red Dot or Kysor made the units for Mack and still stock or cross reference most of the parts. Changing over to R134 takes different parts than what came on pre 1993 R-12 systems and a little retro-fitting is required.

2 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

The evaporator coil is in the air box under the dash. The condenser coil is mounted in front of the radiator or a Grilldenser. Maybe a little confusion there. i did have to find the one condenser coil that matched the size I had to fit it into. The CL 700 parts worked perfectly and I did have to tell the parts guy to special order it. Just as You said the current part as a little different in size sometimes. The new part I used was smaller and does work better in the RW.

I used the Red Dot parts that are currently made and sold by the OEM, Red Dot, and others that cross reference them. Mack may not have them but Red Dot or Kysor made the units for Mack and still stock or cross reference most of the parts. Changing over to R134 takes different parts than what came on pre 1993 R-12 systems and a little retro-fitting is required.

Fingers type slower than my thought train. No condensers and dryers which was why it's a close match for those units, but evaps is available from them OEM.

P.T.CHESHIRE