I do that with mine and don't have problems but the truck is not loaded . If loaded I would use the transmission as designed but you can skip gears. 

Thanks very much.  Original engine was, as I recall, ENDT 673 turbocharged.  When I did engine switch (it's been about 10 yrs) there was talk about the 237 supplying more torque at lower RPM than the original, and that I ought to be especially careful not to lug it down.

Going to teach my son-in-law to drive it, and wanted to start him out on just main box.  

Truck normally not loaded, and I fully agree with your suggestion.

Thanks

You're quite welcome. You really won't have any problems as the old quadraplex is robust enough to take quite a bit of abuse. It is probably a TRQ-7220 which is a double overdriven transmission. Being a 1963 truck is should have the 18 bolt differential housings and it's easy to locate drop ins that would help your road speed considerably if that becomes important.

I appreciate the suggestion.  I'm in Kansas, and this unit came from the East Coast somewhere.  Pulling an end dump I imagine, since at one time it had a 5th wheel, I'm told.

Has triple frame, outer layer of which was rotted, so I replaced that, rewired, new paint, had cab redone, new brakes and tires, then installed the Holmes 750.  Wouldn't mind having a higher top end, setting aside the fact that I'd hate to have to stop the truck at those speeds, but so it goes.

What would I look for to replace the pumpkins?

Thanks

The complete differentials. They will be called "drop ins, chunks, third members", etc. Pull your axles and driveshafts, unbolt the center sections and lift them out with either a forklift or shop crane. With that transmission a very common 4.17 ratio would work very well and get you to 70mph pretty easily. I have the double over quad and 6.34 ratio and can run right at 57mph on 20" tires.

There are different differential housing styles so you may need to have one driveshaft modified depending upon what you have, and wind up with. If you post a photo of the existing differentials I, or we, can point you in a direction to go and it won't be the direction where everybody tells me to go.....

With said slow gearing, skipping gears is fine.  With mine I try to keep it above about 1400 on a hard pull(with my trailer).  Below that the old triplex starts complaining!  You'll feel it start to thump and that's tough on these single countershaft boxes.

Bet you can start in 3rd low, 4 lo, then split it up a few.  I only need 2 lo when starting with my trailer.  I have 4.10 gears out back.

We call them pumpkins.

In reality they are called "Carriers" when completely built up. The differential is installed into the "Carrier" which is what bolts into the housing.

Many thanks, guys.  This thing is so low-geared that it certainly makes sense to just shift the main box, or even skip gears.

There is a very good truck boneyard and parts warehouse out west of Wichita called Southwest Truck Parts, and I'm betting they'll either have it, or know someone else who does.

I'll shoot a pic of the differential housings tomorrow and put it up.

Our dm686sx used to top out at 47, dad ran it for 15 years that way then it dropped a bearing in one of the differentials so I made him buy a junk yard pair that'd do 60+. Was much better to drive after that, except for the 20k steer axle that felt like you were riding a brick down the road... There's only two highways around us that we drive on and they're both 55mph. We don't need more than 65.

Sorry for the quality of these pix, but it's dark under there.  

1. Looking at front diff from ahead of axle

0602191515.thumb.jpg.cbcffac71ebbd7cd7d967ea60b32e6e4.jpgrear diff, sho

2. Going into rear diff

0602191514.jpg.4c985cfc6a46d7fc6e78bc658bdb8d65.jpg

3. Looking up at rear diff carrier cover from below

0602191511.jpg.e5a62da4247b556a906934d37b25053c.jpg

The immediate problem I see is getting these chunks in and out without taking the bed off.

Many thanks.

If I had X-ray vision, I'd guess that the bogies look like this, also from BMT website.  This tells me right away how I would do the switch.

57f39439a3140_0SWD573bogie.thumb.jpg.c58b4fd31b277e2fd27d6752fb75ab31.jpg.2985aeba361ed28eff26f8258798c552.jpg

Not the same. Your truck appears to have the heavier drive axle and carriers. These would be the CRDP-95/CRDP951 and CRDP-96/CRDP-961. They are probably 50K rated bogies. Look on the rear rear differential housing just to the right of center usually for a stamping of letters starting with SWD and relay those. I can tell you what it was built with that way. Just looking at the power divider section shows me they are heavier than the CRD-92, and CRD-93 series up to a 40K rating of which your last photo is of the tandem.

On your set I would expect to see SWD 68, 681, SWD 592, 5921, 593, or SWD 69. These number will again show what the truck probably has in it given the low gearset.

You probably have either a 7.32:1, 7.58:1, 814:1, or 8.27:1 gear ratio back there. Once I know the SWD numbers I can go further but your 47mph road speed and TRQ-7220 trans with 24" rubber will put you in the road speed you mention.

It's much easier to elevate the back of the truck off of the suspension complete if you have the capability to do it that way. Bridge crane, or heavy gantry does a great job as do two 10 ton one end jacks and plenty of cribbing. Doing that kind of work does seem vaguely familiar about 45 years ago.

Use the rig up truck to lift the bed onto the chassis? Used to love doing that type work. I have a small Leland "Roustabout" bed for my B-61 with 12' poles and a 20K Tulsa winch. I got to get onto that project some day.....

It was a lot of fun.  All my buds came down and helped out.  Measured that bed and where it would sit on the Mack about a thousand times.  Notice the fender skirts and flares we installed.  Replaced those rubber flares with stuff that wasn't floppy, and turned out very well.  The stripes on the back end were all hand done by the painter, a young kid.  I was pretty impressed.

0228171612.thumb.jpg.06f6fd60ae035be47a240363ca3e9035.jpg

0309171502a.jpg

Same front bumper style as on mine. Probably built in Mt. Vernon, IL. That is a handy size to have around. Those never around the contraptions don't know how versatile they can be.

My 58 B-61 was a Kansas oil patch truck it's working life. It still has the remnants of the bed but the winch and poles were gone. The tail roller is still there however:

image.jpeg.02dac242b93bbd57ee4c2228feddb979.jpeg

Wow nice looking ride thanks for sharing always liked those steel nose B models as a kid in the 60 s there was allot of them..in construction...bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That old deuce, pound for pound, is the hardest working truck I've got.  You're right; you don't need that winch or gin poles every day, but when you do it does the job.

Rob:

Numbers off the rear diff housing are:

IQFA5477

SWD 592

Thanks

Day

Below I'm loading up my '35 Diamond T 211 on  my '80 Autocar rollback.

0603191330a.thumb.jpg.afc06049757aa56d1c7ee78f1ed4d4d7.jpg

A'nd the '21 Seagrave firetruck up there too.

ACWITHSEAGRAVE103.thumb.jpg.4b98ac4d15923499990850540fe25975.jpg

AC14

Was always fond of "AutoCar" also. They used to be plentiful around St. Louis when I was young too.

The SWD-592 is a 60K set with bronze bushed trunion and is a one piece cast steel differential housings. It does use the CRDP-95, and CRD-96 differential carriers.

That suspension should hold up to just about anything it is tasked to support. The 8.27:1 ratio would be right at home with that suspension.

Rob:

What options would I have to change out the carriers?  What should be on my shopping list?  Would this website be a good way to look for them?

Thanks

Day

The carriers should use the same bolt pattern as the CRD-92, and CRD-93 series so finding something shouldn't be too difficult. The driveline will most likely need modified for a smaller universal joint series as most the the larger carriers used larger universals. Not always however. As mentioned 4.17 ratio would serve well and deliver good road speed while keeping the engine humming without overspeed. With your large tires you could easily approach 70mph with 4.17 ratio. There were gillions of those differentials produced so finding a donor set won't be difficult.

Let me know the alphanumerics stamped into the left side of the transmission along with tire size so we can know what ratio it is and we can work on a favorable, and balanced package.