Proper gear lubes B 61X

OEM for the transmission was GO-B90 which was a mild extreme pressure gear oil.  The rear used GO-D90 which was a multi purpose oil.

Lots of brands out there so pick your favorite.  For hobby use and an occasional trip to the pit, probably could use something like Mobilube HD Plus 80W-90 in both.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

4 hours ago, Freightrain said:

I've put regular 75w90 stuff in my truck.

I know you have made comments about your trans. being noisey, what if you tried some heavier gear oil?  Not a cure but might help.  terry:MackLogo:

Edited by terry

I've tried a few different things, even some Lucas.  It just has loose bearing kinda noise.  Years back, when I converted to electronic speedo and had the rear tailhousing off, I pulled a shim from the cover to tighten that rear bearing up.  Seem to help more then anything.  Under load, it's okay.  Just coasting it rattles and clanks along.  You can feel the noise in the back box up through the compound shifter.  I rebuilt the handles over the winter which helped the shift pattern overall.  But the compound handle still buzzes going down the highway.  I typically keep my hand on my leg with my finger pushing on the handle to quiet it down.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"