New Pinnacle Test Mule

I happen to occasionally see the Hagerstown Drivetrain Plant’s rest mules on their runs, and today they had a new one, a brand new black Pinnacle with a huge sleeper. The only chrome is the stacks. I’ll try to get some pictures the next time I see it. It’s hauling a flatbed with a bunch of weights on the back and in smaller red text on the sleeper it says Mack Trucks Inc. along with the DOT number. It’s a pretty sweet rig.

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

They take a truck off the assembly line and run it loaded around without stopping it until it comes time to replace the old one which is typically decided by either a breakdown, which is pretty rare, or that the vehicle has put enough miles on it that they decide to make sure it’s stoll the way it should be. Or atleast that’s how Mack does it, basically quality control for the drivetrain plant. They’ve got a few running around at a time usually. You can tell which ones are the test mules because they’re a solid color, are hauling giant cement blocks, and have Mack Trucks Inc. written kinda small somewhere on the truck. The other ones I’ve seen are a long Cassis MR, an LR tractor, a granite tractor, and now this Pinnacle. They really never shut them off unless there’s a breakdown and they never stop but to change drivers and fill up with fuel.

15 hours ago, CaptainCrutch said:

They take a truck off the assembly line and run it loaded around without stopping it until it comes time to replace the old one which is typically decided by either a breakdown, which is pretty rare, or that the vehicle has put enough miles on it that they decide to make sure it’s stoll the way it should be. Or atleast that’s how Mack does it, basically quality control for the drivetrain plant. They’ve got a few running around at a time usually. You can tell which ones are the test mules because they’re a solid color, are hauling giant cement blocks, and have Mack Trucks Inc. written kinda small somewhere on the truck. The other ones I’ve seen are a long Cassis MR, an LR tractor, a granite tractor, and now this Pinnacle. They really never shut them off unless there’s a breakdown and they never stop but to change drivers and fill up with fuel.

That would be a pretty boring job !!    terry:MackLogo:

On 4/5/2019 at 9:30 AM, bbigrig said:

I think the MRU one is purple. 

It is, I think the long chassis one is the new electric mule because it’s always stopped on the side which is something I’ve only seen with electric drivetrains, especially since I’ve NEVER seen a test mule broken down, and they have to stop to take temperatures to make sure the batteries aren’t getting too hot. Just a guess though.

18 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

Hood looks long enough for a Cummins x15

Ya, but even if that ever did happen, Volvo would still make sure Mack ignores the heavy haulers.  They would probably limit it to 450 h.p. and 1650 torque. LOL

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a red granite in Warren Pa Friday . lt looked like a tractor without the fifth wheel and a couple big blocks on the back. Mack trucks on the door. i was sitting at a red light daydreaming when it came around the corner looked a little odd with the blocks on it and then i remembered this post.