Automated Manual Transmissions

Hook n ladder 1

Few years from now I'm looking to buy a new truck and I'm torn between an AMT and a manual.  I run semi-dump around Chicago (lots of stop and go and bumper to bumper traffic) and my E7-427 with 10 sp Eaton is fine.  I average 1 clutch adjustment every 2-3 years.  My question is do the AMT clutches require more frequent clutch adjustments or are they even adjustable?

Like any new technology, the AMT has improved over time. Today, most function extremely well. While there are some I like over others, none are bad.

I run semi-dump around Chicago (lots of stop and go and bumper to bumper traffic)

In your application, I would consider paying up for the Allison. It's worth the investment, and then there's the higher resale value.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Agree with K I think the Allison in stop and go traffic makes more sense !  Also agree ! The transmissions have been quite reliable!  HOW EVER  Food For Thought,  bend over when it comes time to do the clutch ! (Of which You have no control over ) It does what it is told! When doing a Clutch job on M Drive  Be prepared to replace the fly wheel the internal clutch  release  as well as the clutch AT almost three times the cost of doing a normal Eaton Clutch ( Which You DO have Control over)  and how much it Gets used and is adjustable ! There are  reasons  why  M/V  are pushing these  Trans on the masses and one of those reasons is THEY GOTCHA ! Captivation is good for the bottom line ! GOOD BUSINESS !

Just sayin!

Yea I agree about the Allison. If your fine with your manual and you don’t go through clutches then Sri k with manual. The only thing I don’t like about the new trucks with a manual is the air assist clutch. I personally hate the feel of them. Our 2000, 2004, and 2006 feel so much better than  the new granites when your taking off especially in stop and go traffic. We’re in nyc so I definately know what your talking about. The 2 Allison’s we have are great for the city. Just spec it right for your application and I don’t think you’ll be dissapointed

Personally, I would go for the Mdrive. The least expensive rout would be a manual trans but with it comes routine service(clutch adjustment). The Mdrive requires none of that but, as pointed out above, is expensive come clutch time. I'm not a fan of the allison trans. A few oil field companies tried to run some in their fleets locally and they were just a pure pain in the tush. Plus, any automatic trans robs horsepower. 

8 hours ago, turckster said:

Personally, I would go for the Mdrive. The least expensive rout would be a manual trans but with it comes routine service(clutch adjustment). The Mdrive requires none of that but, as pointed out above, is expensive come clutch time. I'm not a fan of the allison trans. A few oil field companies tried to run some in their fleets locally and they were just a pure pain in the tush. Plus, any automatic trans robs horsepower. 

You must be the only person in America who feels as you do about Allison automatic transmissions. It's stellar reputation in America and around the world speaks for itself.

6 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

You must be the only person in America who feels as you do about Allison automatic transmissions. It's stellar reputation in America and around the world speaks for itself.

I never said it was a bad transmission, I just don't care for it and I don't think it would be a good trans choice for the OP"s question. BTW, I doubt I'm alone on how I feel about the Allison trans. 

I always hated working on a MP engine with a Allison trans. All the extra coolant piping going back to the Allison heat exchanger got in the way and made hard jobs harder. The clutch’s on the M-drive seemed to last along time around here , but not a lot of stop and go traffic here.  I remember us only changing 3 M-drive clutches and they were all the same customer. He was using CHU’s in a muddy landfill. This was before the HD M-Drive came out. That said around  here in the dump truck application the Allison is the winner . 

I appreciate everyone's input.  I wasn't entertaining an Allison only because there were a handful of guys around me that run semi-dump that went to the Allison and complained about the fuel mileage so they all went back to manuals.  Doing clutch adjustments is a non issue for me since I do it so infrequently.  

I am familiar with Allisons however.  Every 3rd day I drive a fire engine with an Allison.  Of course I can't make a comparison with that and a commercial truck as far as MPG since it's geared differently and we do a $H%$ ton of idling.  The display says we're averaging 2 miles per gallon (dont tell the tree huggers that  :)