95 CH613 differential axle problem

Noland

I have a 95 CH613 dump truck. Not sure what popped but sounded like an axle or some gear broke or stripped out in the rear end when pulling out from being loaded with dirt. Both drive shafts spin but no power gets to the  wheels. I dumped the load and it trys to pull but then grinds and slips again. I’m thinking if the axle was broke it would just spin freely but it don’t. It feels  like a gear or splin is stripped out. Maybe in the top I don’t know. I haven’t taken anything apart yet I’m just trying to see if anybody out there knows where to start. Any advice is greatly appreciated.  

Edited by Noland

Start by pulling the axles. Splines could be stripped on one. Assuming Mack rears, they have side covers that you can pull off and look inside the differential... If you see metal bits you know where your problem is...  If you put the body up and watch the driveshaft does it spin when it's in gear? (Aka is your problem in the tranny)

Probably an axle. Probably one of the long side axles.  We have had them brake clean and make no sound after the initial snap, and we have had them brake ruff and grind.  Get a 5-6ft piece of threaded rod or a stick and tape some good magnets to the end, a cow magnet works really good.  And put it down the axle tube into the housing and clean out all the metal pieces you can before putting the new axle back in.