R model fender flares

Once I bought an extra hood for my R there were fender flares on it of the style as on the picture you posted. Specially designed and shaped to fit R-model fenders. But I saw plenty of R's/DM's were just a common rubber strip used on 4x4 was attached. Looked quite good being cheap at the same time and no need to make dealers scratching their heads.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

40 minutes ago, harrybarbon said:

There is a company here in Aus that makes fiberglass r - model, superliner 1 & 2 and Aus Valueliner fender flares - $Aus 300 plus delivery for the pair and includes rubbers and stainless steel fasteners,

I got a pair of those  fiberglass flairs for a Superliner2 a few years ago. Price is right at $300 at time the US and Aus dollar were about the same, high but nice quality and fit. I could not find the molder rubber ones that fit nice. The issue is shipping, UPS quoted about $200 for 13lbs/6kg and I said OK. Got the flairs and UPS can back with dimensional weight calculation and bill correction of $612 for shipping. so my flairs cost me over $900 in the end. 

3 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

I got a pair of those  fiberglass flairs for a Superliner2 a few years ago. Price is right at $300 at time the US and Aus dollar were about the same, high but nice quality and fit. I could not find the molder rubber ones that fit nice. The issue is shipping, UPS quoted about $200 for 13lbs/6kg and I said OK. Got the flairs and UPS can back with dimensional weight calculation and bill correction of $612 for shipping. so my flairs cost me over $900 in the end. 

Doesn't sound nice. I used to step in such issue since the most parts I buy go from overseas.

Do those Aussie flares fit US RW well? Australian and American Superliner hoods were different of the shape of fenders/ We discussed it once on here.

Just now, Vladislav said:

Doesn't sound nice. I used to step in such issue since the most parts I buy go from overseas.

Do those Aussie flares fit US RW well? Australian and American Superliner hoods were different of the shape of fenders/ We discussed it once on here.

Wheel opening seems to be the same and the flare contour did lineup real close. AUS hoods and cabs sit higher than US models with some differences but wheel openings being very close.

18 minutes ago, AZB755V8 said:

Wheel opening seems to be the same and the flare contour did lineup real close. AUS hoods and cabs sit higher than US models with some differences but wheel openings being very close.

Thanks, got it. Wonder how much would UPS estimate to ship a complete Aussie RW2 hood...

Just now, Vladislav said:

Thanks, got it. Wonder how much would UPS estimate to ship a complete Aussie RW2 hood...

Easier and cheaper to get a new Jones hood, think they still make them and ship it from the US. You just cut out the opening you need and paint if you don't what it white.

A good 4x4 shop has the universal rubber flares in rolls that you can purchase by the foot. They come in different flare widths also.     Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

5 minutes ago, AZB755V8 said:

Easier and cheaper to get a new Jones hood, think they still make them and ship it from the US. You just cut out the opening you need and paint if you don't what it white.

I like the Aussie hood look. The headlight are mounted lower on it. Also Aussie RW was built using R-model frame rails I have an extra set of. The cab used was also a stock R-model cab, not American Superliner one. I have a spare one either. So seems like one attractive idea to assemble a replica... with RH steering and dash to be correct:)

All that would be a difficult deal if look the things real. In my situation seems more reasonable to buy a complete MH cabover and install R-model cab and US RW hood imported. I have a track on a couple such cabovers in the country. Another option is to find a good (and long enought) Superliner frame in the States and ship it in a container what costs reasonable. But right at the moment I try to avoid initiating this entertainment being sure I should finish two current big projects before. And those are taking critically lot of time.

So no Superliner building so far. I only collected a RD cab, 12 speed gearbox, couple extra sets of rears, NOS bumper... Ok, never mind. No frame and hood so far:)

• 2 weeks later...

When I have bought parts from USA, I have asked supplier to forward by US mail and it has been very reasonable and quick - 3 days. When the supplier has shipped via UPS - open the cheque book.

So maybe consider Aust post to send to USA, I think it would be lot cheaper than UPS

An R model hood would be expensive to ship, because it would have to go into a shipping container, although depending where the container has to go, we ship 1000's of empty containers out of Aust to rest of the world, heard a box to China was around $50 Aus

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2019 at 8:56 AM, harrybarbon said:

There is a company here in Aus that makes fiberglass r - model, superliner 1 & 2 and Aus Valueliner fender flares - $Aus 300 plus delivery for the pair and includes rubbers and stainless steel fasteners,

10.JPG

Do you have the name of the company that makes these flares for a Superliner2?  I know Hi-Way truck accessories carries them but they are $800+ aus which comes to $500+ US without shipping.

I will make some enquiries and see what is available and price today and respond shortly.

Postage could go Australia post and then into US post once it arrives in USA. When I bought our modern steering frame for our B model custom, the supplier at my request sent via US mail, cost was about $US 20 and best part was I ordered and paid on a Friday and it arrived at my home in Melb Aust next Tuesday, yet smaller box of items from US via UPS took nearly 3 weeks

• Like 1