L Fire Engine Restoration

On 3/4/2020 at 1:35 PM, davehummell said:

What is the rear ratio that is in it now and what is your rpm when your at 55 mph? 

RPM is about (might be a little higher) 2400 full-load, 2550 unloaded, and the rear end is a 6.86. I think the 80 mph truck had a 5.63, but for some reason some literature suggests it was changed back for the 6.86 before completion. I think the 5.63 was on the truck when the fire company owned it because it was said to do 80... this all with 10.00/20 size balloon tires according to other literature...

This is the further info I have...

AE6CE4CC-1150-4FF0-AF53-D99B803F9567.jpeg

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

Beautiful looking Fire truck.  I posted some new pictures under '49 EE taking a break. check out the fire truck from the '82 truck races in NJ.  it was a demonstrator  for the company. guess people got scared driving up to it on highway thinking it was coming at them LOL.

• 2 months later...

lol i can see rite thru that glass,,,,and it looks like your pissing yourself...truck looks great,have a swinging time with it,,,the way that thing is setup with all that chrome,im thinking it would look amazing with fresh paint..oooooh i also like the blue jeans.....bob

Body work and paint should be next, but we might rebuild the last of the fuel lines first, they were fine before but they seem like they might be starting to break down. Who knows, we care much more about getting her operating before making her look pretty, because if she’s out on the road she’ll shine in her own way... arms are tired from turning all through those city streets with Armstrong steering tho, let’s see how long it takes before dad bites the bullet and finds a power steering kit...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mowerman said:

Probably a dumb remark but you might try jacking up the wheels and greasing king pins it shouldn’t steer that hard even without power steering 

It’s not hard to steer when you actually get her going, but when you’re stop and go maneuvering through tight city streets it can be quite the workout...

• Like 1

oh i gotcha,,,i hadda R model,and a F model...both armstrong,,,,dont remember having much trouble with either one,,,,but yes power steering is quite a pleasure.....my DM has it ,steers like a dream.....sounds to me you should make that your next project...bob

But then after thinking it over I Have driven them all Peterbilt Kenworth Mack white  REO international GMC freightliner Volvo white... ford all without power steering and yes they are a lot tougher in town ,,, bob 

53 minutes ago, mowerman said:

But then after thinking it over I Have driven them all Peterbilt Kenworth Mack white  REO international GMC freightliner Volvo white... ford all without power steering and yes they are a lot tougher in town ,,, bob 

Yeah we get it up to speed on a nice back road and we’re fine, it’s real easy!

Yes after thinking it over I will come to the conclusion there’s nothing wrong with it at all except for manual steering..... 1970 Kenworth cabover was the hardest one I can ever remember couldn’t move the steering wheel  at all if the truck wasnt rolling a little bit  

• 1 year later...

Went to take the truck out of the barn last week, and she just didn’t want to go for very long… started looking at the fuel lines and sure enough the line going into the mechanical pump is kinked. We’ve had to go to a few places now to find someone with both fittings to remake the little thing. And we know that’s the whole problem because when you bend the line back into shape the truck ran just fine. Hoping to have both of the truck out for a local 9/11 event we were invited to, so there’s that to look forward to!

Have this pic, shows the passenger wiper and headlights we’re working on aswell… still looking for headlight buckets if anyone knows where I can find them.

7AC82315-5A95-4C3A-AF82-5C5BD413D1D9.jpeg

• Like 1

Did you ever look at those reproduction Guide Lights? They are or were available in chrome and painted versions. They were advertising in hot rodder magazines, I believe they still are.

Just looked them up on eBay, new and used are there. Guide 682-C's, with the little clearance light on top.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I gather fuel line is some type of rubber ?

Maybe when you get a new line made up slide a tight fitting spring over the out side to prevent it kinking again 

It's hard to believe 20 years has nearly passed since 9-11 

Paul

The real issue with it kinking was the line was a little too long to begin with, long enough we could wrap it in a loop and it still worked. The new shorter line shouldn’t be able to kink because it won’t have to bend that much.

But it is crazy, the company the trucks come from have a few members still around who were there at the pentagon, and of course it’s sheer luck my dad wasn’t one of them.

17 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

Did you ever look at those reproduction Guide Lights? They are or were available in chrome and painted versions. They were advertising in hot rodder magazines, I believe they still are.

Just looked them up on eBay, new and used are there. Guide 682-C's, with the little clearance light on top.

Hadn’t even heard of those until now being honest, I’ll have to take a look at them. Trying to keep the truck as original as possible so I’m still definitely looking for original buckets, but there’s a solid backup plan.

Luckily ours aren’t so bad yet, we can put them back on real quick to take it to a show but they’re definitely going to need replacing, the insides are all rotting out…

Most of the newer stuff is made to look quite retro I would just go ahead and buy them personally…. But yes I do appreciate your wanting to keep it original,,, but I’m sure with those Matt suggested… you wouldn’t even notice they weren’t stock…… really like that truck thanks for the post… bob

No offense taken. These days we try to atleast crank up the trucks once a week, usually when someone goes to mow the lawn. Try to take them around the neighborhood every few weeks, down to the gas station and whatnot… all the problems come from when it sat for 15 years before I really got involved. Now it’s just chasing all the issues that caused. Getting closer to where we want it, just takes time. To be fair, the L hadn’t been run in a few months before the latest issue but that’s not for lack of trying… that kinked fuel line wouldn’t let it fire up and we hadn’t figured it out yet.

Also, those buckets sound good, my dad thought he knew someone who he could some original ones from, just hadn’t contacted the guy yet. We’ll see where that goes. Not in any rush there right now.

• Like 1