1957 B-63 full restoration parts search help

Hello everyone, I am wet behind the ears to the this forum thing and looking for some help on finding parts. I apologize now if I posted this in the wrong place. We are in the middle of restoring a 57 b model and have been coming up high and dry on alot of parts. Watts mack pointed me in this direction, saying that some of you fine folks might be able to help me out. Right at this moment we are looking for kingpins, tie rod ends, and a solid drag link for a FA-522 steering axle. For the king pins I need a set that is around 7.97 in length and has bronze bushings in the top and bottom. My local mack dealer crossed a number to a stemco kit k533m but the pins are too wide at the top and wont fit through it the axle. Also the top bushing is a needle bearing instead of bronze. The new bottom bushing is a spiral screw in so thats ok. The pin is also about a half inch shy due to it coming with a thrust bearing that will not fit into my king pin nut. I'm about out of resources here. Everyone I talk to says they cant help. For the tie rod ends this truck has the early style that are female ends with a male tie bar.  I was told they are rebuildable but can not find parts anywhere. Seems to be a pattern here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

Why can't a person look to a machine shop that does shaft grinding make the pins for you they should be able to find the right grade of steel and have it hardened ? Bushings should be cake for most shops. you could find tie rods that are close and have machine shop open the taper to fit, then go to a good truck junk yard and match up a tie rod to fit the ends. When I put a 292 chevy engine in my fj45 pickup I put a chevy power steering setup on it and I had to scrounge around to make things work.

• Like 1

I had the same problem with tie rod ends for my '60 B but was lucky enough to find a new pair. Fortunately the king pins are OK. I have a new set of king pins Mack part #301SQ 45A. I'm not sure what they fit. The pin is a little over 6 1/2" and has bushings for upper and lower.

Here is the Axle and King Pin dimensions

MODEL TONS   LBS   INNER SPINDLE  OUTER  SPINDLE DIA     KING PIN TOP   KING PIN BOTTOM    BEAM HEIGHT     BEAM  WIDTH  BEAM  WEB

FA 522     5.4    12000       2 5/8 inch                     1 ¾                         1 3/8                         1 5/8                         3 11/16                 3  1/4                    5/8

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Having a machine shop start making parts is our next step. But I was told to ask around here to see if anyone had what we were looking for out there or knew where to look. This whole thing became alot more of a project than we anticipated mostly on the parts end. Everyday we need something else. Half the battle is just finding the correct part number.  If I find the right part number we have been slightly successful at getting parts from the dealer. Whatever isn't discontinued should I say. I'll just keep soldiering on for now with the search.....Thanks for all the info so far. 

You have the old style FA-522 steering axle. There was a change for the 1962 model year, (IIRC) that went to upper needle bearings. My 1964 B-61 w/FA-522 steering axle has needle bearings.

Your king pins should measure 1.3510-1.3515" diameter at the top, 1.6215-1.6220" diameter at the bottom.

You should have a threaded adjuster plug in the bottom and the style is known as "Type 3 w/o needle bearings" according to a B model service manual from the 1960's I have.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob you are correct. So the stemco kit k533m should fit the newer style FA-522 axle then. Now I just need to find the part number for the kit I need that has both bronze.  The build sheet gives me a number but for some reason it crosses over to this stemco kit that will not work. Which doesn't surprise me due to the fact the build sheet says this trucks has 58k pound rears in it but after research it has 44ks in it with 58k pound springs.  

The replacement style pins are larger than the original types you have. The new style pins measure 1.3750-1.3755, (upper) and 1.6250-1.6255", (lower). There is a difference in the upper bearing surface of .0240", and the lower of .0035". Citing both of these dimensions are larger and the taper to the pin is the same, have custom bushings manufactured by a machine shop for the spindles. Hone these bushings to the correct dimension allowing for no more than a .005" clearance. IIRC the spindle bores are slightly different sizes from the old style to the new style so it's not just press new bushings into the old bores. You will require custom bushings which won't take long to manufacture.

Not a hard job for a machine shop and in the grand scheme not out of reach in a restoration.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I understand how to do it that way being that I have templates for all the parts I need.  And you are correct its not a huge huge problem to have them made.. I just dont want to go through all of that if I dont have to. Just looking into the wealth of knowledge here to see what guys have come up with over the years. We are already tight on a deadline and just looking to see if we can find parts that will fit without jumping through hoops. Through research on the forum so far I believe I have found replacement tie rod ends and tie bar that will fit. I will know Monday. If not we will send the spindles out to have the tapers honed to fit. 

1 hour ago, steve s. said:

You might try  contacting John Chalmers in Cashtown PA. I purchased tie rod rebuild kits from him a couple years ago. I think he has been downsizing, but he may be able to help. His number is 717-334-8709. Good luck.

I got a pair of new tie rod ends from him.  Saved the day.