St. Louis Mack Trucks

I find it amazing I still have enough brain cells functioning to remember so many of these of the trucks, and some of the names. By admission I remember the Mack brand more than anything, but I left living in the area after grandpa retired from Monsanto, and many relatives retired from Busch, with most leaving the metropolitan area.

The thread has been really rewarding to me as much of what's posted I can still directly relate to. Thx. 

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

5 hours ago, convoyduel said:

I think those are R741’s if I remember correctly.  Definitely just R7xx models.  They have NTC290’s in them.  I almost bought a couple of those Halliburton Mack R7’s.  They made them at least into the mid 1980’s.   

Garner did have a very odd and unique Purple 1967 Peterbilt 351 with Dayton wheels all around and a 1693TA under a lengthened hood that gave the truck a unique 126” BBC.  It had a 1673 Cat from the factory and as part of Cat’s buy-back of those boat anchors, they replaced it at the owner’s choice with a 1693.  Because of the significant change in size, the cab was moved back 7” and new hood panels were fabbed, giving the unique 126” BBC.  I believe Peterbilt of St. Louis (pre-Larson Group dealer) did the work.  I have pictures of that truck somewhere.  It was last seen in Garner’s yard in the early 2000’s up in Hazelwood. 

Please post a pic!

On 4/12/2020 at 8:09 PM, Rob said:

Some, but not all were RD series. If you look at the gap between the fuel tanks and cab rocker panel as well as seeing the bottom radiator tank bolts; dead givaway to raised cab. Another clue is the front cab mount insulator being completely visible. 

The hood is different too. It has deeper fenders; the top of the wheel arch is roughly in line with the centre of the headlights on this hood but is much closer to the top of the headlights on the shallower hood. I don't think this is down to R or RD series because I think Mack changed the R700 design sometime in the mid 70s so all R700's from this point had the raised cab and deeper fenders. I've attached some scanned spec sheets for a 1970 R700 and a 77 R700. The cab height above frame is 61.3 inches on the 70 model and 65.2 for the 77. (This compares to 66 for the RS trucks). My guess is that as the number of horses increased so did the need for greater cooling and the raised cab perhaps allowed for bigger rads and better airflow. Some Australian trucks have had the cabs raised even further to this end. I may be wrong though! I also noticed that all the engine options for both 70 and 77 are Cummins, Detroit, or V8 Mack with no 6 pot Macks. Does this mean that R700's were not offered with 6 cylinder macks because the RS700's definitely were? I think I must have lifted the 77 scan from this site at some point so apologies and thanks to whoever posted it originally.

post-7036-0-14793300-1378735138.jpg

post-7036-0-24441500-1378735150.jpg

post-7036-0-46017100-1378735107.jpg

post-7036-0-55373600-1378735074.jpg

R700LST.pdf

• Like 2

Nice document.  I have always thought the later R700’s were the best compliment to the R model design.  The longer hood sitting higher like that suits the design better IMHO. 

There was a circa 1982 Mack R700ST with an 8V92TA in it on Truck Paper about 5 years ago. White with some orange stripes I think and Dayton’s all around.  By the time I got around to convincing myself I needed it, it was gone.   Awesome looking truck.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, convoyduel said:

Nice document.  I have always thought the later R700’s were the best compliment to the R model design.  The longer hood sitting higher like that suits the design better IMHO. 

There was a circa 1982 Mack R700ST with an 8V92TA in it on Truck Paper about 5 years ago. White with some orange stripes I think and Dayton’s all around.  By the time I got around to convincing myself I needed it, it was gone.   Awesome looking truck.  

I disagree. I think the RL/RS are the lookers of the litter. I admit to being biased.

1 hour ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

I disagree. I think the RL/RS are the lookers of the litter. I admit to being biased.

I'm with you on that. The RS/RL's were definitely lookers.  I think Hayward came up with a better solution to the fender/tyre gap with the lower mounted fenders on the later Western Hood. The deeper fender on the Eastern models looks a little bit awkward in my opinion but I still think that, overall, the hood sitting higher was an improvement and actually brought the Eastern models closer to the Western in terms of appearance. Still curious as to why Hayward offered it's long hoods with 6 cylinder Mack motors while the Easterns only seemed to come with Mack V8's or proprietary motors.

• Like 1

1973 RL797LST:

image.png.002c64aa0e26df685f537f686dd0afd7.png

1974 RL797LST:

image.jpeg.4be6ea807b808035e2954813f3a89ed4.jpeg

1978 RL755LST:

image.jpeg.c269632ef73e6b2955425c87796e209a.jpeg

I kinda favor the Western trucks but do like the R795S quite well also:

image.jpeg.85062abe6fd6916b15672e2325d77540.jpeg

• Like 2

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

3 hours ago, Whiskymack said:

Still curious as to why Hayward offered it's long hoods with 6 cylinder Mack motors while the Easterns only seemed to come with Mack V8's or proprietary motors.

I wouldn't mind having one of the late 70's R711 trucks with the ET673 260 HP 6 cylinder.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

9 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

My poorly generalized wording gave the wrong impression.  I meant all of the R7/RS7/RL7 family by generically calling it the R700.   We agree. 

11 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

How close did you look over the truck?Mack or fuller?

If mack is it 2 stick?

Camelback on the rear?

I noticed the two outlets on the breather so I am pretty sure it is a 285.

Just drove by quick and it has camelback. 

• 2 weeks later...