9/11/01

Hobert62

http://www.startribune.com/bald-eagle-lands-on-firefighters-9-11-tribute-in-minnesota/492968991/

We were working at Manhasset  Bay  at the harbor entrance and could see and smell the smoke. We had no idea what happened until the Nassau P.D. cleared us off the Navigation Light jetty and told us of the attack.. Not a ship or aircraft on or over the L.I. Sound or Connecticut for 3 or 4 days, just F-16's and Coast Guard Cutters running the sound to protect Groton  Electric Boat ship yard and New London sub Base.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

8 hours ago, 41chevy said:

http://www.startribune.com/bald-eagle-lands-on-firefighters-9-11-tribute-in-minnesota/492968991/

We were working at Manhasset  Bay  at the harbor entrance and could see and smell the smoke. We had no idea what happened until the Nassau P.D. cleared us off the Navigation Light jetty and told us of the attack.. Not a ship or aircraft on or over the L.I. Sound or Connecticut for 3 or 4 days, just F-16's and Coast Guard Cutters running the sound to protect Groton  Electric Boat ship yard and New London sub Base.

As an old LI guy you will recognize this. We had a Gulf Station just before LaGuardia that was undergoing complete rebuild.  I'm in the office in Boston and I hear the engineer who is handling the project-and on the phone with the contractor who is at the site- call out.."plane just hit WTC"!  My first thought -"hah-some idiot  in a Cessna 172 sight seeing".  

Some things you'll never forget-although too many loons in this country have.

We were up in the flat tops mountains, Meeker CO, muzzleloading for Elk. When it hit the top of the hour, around 10PM, one of the guys zeroed a station on the truck to hear the weather/news before bed. It was a confusing report about the plane attack and even more confusing when he was done reiterating it. Looked outside and the sky was dead silent. Evident something big was coming down. By Friday, when we were ready to move, there was radio talk of no rental cars available in US, price gouging and gasoline shortages.     

4 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Some things you'll never forget-although too many loons in this country have.

Like Pelosi call 9-11 an incident.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Eas out working on a job and the guys from electric company said it happened. Stopped home to get another load of gravel and watched it on t.v. ... mother in law was with my wife at hospital for scheduled colonoscopy.  Definitely remember what I was doing.

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

I was working on the Moose Fire. All of the crews got called back to camp because we lost air support. Got back to camp and walked up to the crowds around the TVs in the tents and then learned what happened. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

14 hours ago, Red Horse said:

As an old LI guy you will recognize this. We had a Gulf Station just before LaGuardia that was undergoing complete rebuild. 

31st street or the pair on Grand Ave?

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Paul- the one right on Grand Central Parkway-just before you exit right for the terminals.

You know there was no bathroom doors on it during the construction? Had to make an emergency stop there with the whole world looking at the headline on my Daily News.  :)

• Haha 1

P.T.CHESHIRE