radiator replacement on the mack

Ezrider

yes it can be done with one person. a real PIA, but doable.
What did you prop the hood on? I backed my pick-up close to rest it on

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I remove the hood tilt restraint cables and use a tall stand to rest the dog upon so the hood is open "over center". I then lift the radiators out with the gantry crane many times never disconnecting the a/c condenser coil.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

1 hour ago, Mack Technician said:

Good to consider, as you mentioned, the warranty as really not even practical to consider on something like a daily driver truck. 

yeah i bought a aftermarket radiator and air to air for my fld before i had my mack they both failed within a year. radiator i ended up just repairing charge air cooler i bought another one and sent the old one back, sent them the invoice for getting the radiator repaired never got one red cent back

then about 2 years ago i bought a aftermarket ac condenser for the mack and and it failed within 2 weeks started leaking where the mounting tab is welded to the tube end tank. bought a mack ac condenser that is still working perfectly 2 years later. sent the after market one back this time they did at least respond to my inquiry's and claimed improper installation. kinda funny how that is considering i did nothing different installing the Mack one and had no issues. so basically as far as im concerned any claimed warranty with any of the aftermarket manufactures is not worth the paper its written on.  

1 hour ago, 1965 said:

How come no air tools?

i dunno. lol i did use a impact on some of the bolts holding the frame into the truck. guess i must have just felt like using mostly hand tools. there are certainly lots of spots i could have used air.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I remove the hood tilt restraint cables and use a tall stand to rest the dog upon so the hood is open "over center". I then lift the radiators out with the gantry crane many times never disconnecting the a/c condenser coil.

the ac condenser is bolted to the air to air witch is then bolted to the radiator frame on this truck. so you would ether have to pull it all out with a crane or pull the radiator out of the frame with a crane. that would have been a lot of trouble on this truck. esp considering it was a pia to get the bolt holes lined up between the new radiator and the frame outside of the truck. also pretty sure with the original setup i would have to look but i dont think there is access between the air to air and the bolts facing forward between the radiator and the frame. 

probably a great idea on some trucks pretty sure that wouldn't have worked on this one. ill certainly be keeping that idea in mind if i do one that it looks like it might work though. 

i didn't disconnect any of the ac lines, just unbolted the condenser from the cooling pack and laid it off to the side. 

• Like 1