Mack Single Axle:

Rob

I have from my 57 Mack B-61T the original drive axle. It is a 4.25 ratio and probably Eaton built from the looks of it but it does have the corporate script stamped into it's housing. I also have a nice original frame with springs attached I'd like to marry the two up together. I have new u-bolts for the mounting but the spring seats from the axle are garbage. One was scab welded onto the housing, the other bent. The axle housing itself is fine and I welded up a hole years ago that was burnt into it inadvertently I'm sure. Where would I get spring seat for this thing or should I make them? It is a round tube housing and I think 3.5". From years ago I remember it being different than trailer axle spring seats.

Thanks,

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Ran out there and snapped a couple photos. Don't know what axle I was remembering but not this one which is 5" round. Here are a few photos. Need to get a new drive yoke as this one is stretched about .040" over the 6.092 a 1710 full round series is.

Thanks,

Rob

Spring width is 3.00" and I also need the shoes that set on top of the springs too as these were missing. The prior owner had .750" square blocks of steel and round u-bolts bearing down on then to retain the axle under the truck.

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

My Mack guru suggested going to a shop that does truck springs. They should have a source for direct or near direct fit spring perches. A good shop should also have the top plate with the U bolt grooves and a shim pack if you need to reset the pinion angle.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks Paul. Nobody around local does truck springs any longer. All has to be mail order which can be a pain for anything not conveniently listed in a catalog to the older set, or computer screen to the younger set. 

It very well could be as both Eaton/Dana, and Rockwell/Meritor vendored to Mack over the years. I'm certainly no expert on rear axles or anything in general. I've seen an Eaton in an older TS manual that looked very similar with the side adjustment block in the same location. I know this rear is original to the chassis which is a 1957. It was referred to as an RAS-405, (I think) in the old Mack books.

Edited by Rob

I'll have to look as the yoke is bad and needing replaced before I do much with it. Can't remember if it's retained by a nut, or bolt, (capscrew).

Only Rockwell axles I've ever been around are SQHD, SQHP, and I think SSHD. I have a set of SQHD with a Detroit "No Spin" in the rear rear I'll use someplace with 3.70 ratio. I installed it about 34 years ago.

Looking through a Meritor book and these are listed for a Reyco trailer spring suspension which are available from finditparts.com: https://www.finditparts.com/search?utf8=✓&s=R304816&commit=

By the simplicity of this thing I may see if a buddy w/plasma table will cut the axle radius from 1/4" plate and I'll fabricate the balance. I could also use a hole saw in a drill press to do the same thing. 

Yes, that is what I have in soft and hard copy. Need to get an updated version as mine is 2011. Same with the Meritor catalog but it's 2010. Having part numbers makes it easy to shop online. My truck parts supplier gave them to me along with access codes to download. He knows I don't make a living with trucks and wanted to help me out. I still spend quite a bit there but they try to come close on price match sometimes besting online suppliers. With in 10% and they have the business regardless. 

Give me the Tube O.D and I'll stop at Huntingon Brake and Spring and see what they have or can get.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I'll stop there Monday when I go past them

Maybe give me the spring width just in case.   Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE