B Model Hood Length

The MACK Museum sent me lots of interesting info on B71's and on "my" 71.   Here is the measurements of the B71 from a sale brochure ( I hope it's readable ).     I did some measuring on my B,  Total hood length, ( next to center chrome strip ) is 53 inches , rear edge of the hood to front of radiator is 60 inches.

Scan 1.jpg

33 minutes ago, B MACK said:

The MACK Museum sent me lots of interesting info on B71's and on "my" 71.   Here is the measurements of the B71 from a sale brochure ( I hope it's readable ).     I did some measuring on my B,  Total hood length, ( next to center chrome strip ) is 53 inches , rear edge of the hood to front of radiator is 60 inches.

Why did the B71 have such a long hood? I am guessing a bigger engine option, but which one, a Cummins?

• Like 1

On 15.01.2018 at 11:27 PM, j hancock said:

Excellent Vlad!  Could you put the Cabs pdf into the wiki?

Jim, if not a big trouble (to pay attention) please do it yourself using the file.

I just don't have an idea on how to. May try if it's really needed to be done by myself. Need some instructions to act though.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

36 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

Jim, if not a big trouble (to pay attention) please do it yourself using the file.

I just don't have an idea on how to. May try if it's really needed to be done by myself. Need some instructions to act though.

Haha!   

I wanted you to do it because I couldn't get it to work either! 

After trying a couple of different things, the info "seems" to be available in the wiki again.  I can't edit the original thread so I added the info using a regular response post.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

All of the 70 and 80 series had long hoods.  I'm not positive but I believe the CUMMINS was available in others?   A few years ago I saw one with a 1673 CAT in it,   I think it was a B73 but not sure ???     I think  the B71 was CUMMINS powered only.    I am thinking the B71 also was the only B with a set-back axle??

Glad you had the file on the different cabs. There was a bunch of other info on the site "oldmacksrus.com" including the Cummins used in B models. Something happened to Barry Umberger who was running the site and I can't get any word on him. Jeeprider (Mike) contacted me last year about him posting all the info again - but I'm not getting any response from him now that I have all the info from old site.

If there is anybody with the skills to post all this info, please holler! My email has a 7k limit on attachments so emailing is out of the picture. I can put all the stuff on a thumb drive and mail to you. The registry is updated plus everything else that was on the old site is ready to send.

Barry at Watts Mack - if you are listening, I could send you the thumb drive with all the info!

Over & out from Ignorant Ridge

Tom   

Cummins were under the hood of B-71, 73, 733, 77, 773, 83, 833, 85, 853, 87, 873

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/tutorials/article/206-b-model-engine-data/

The B-73 you saw had a transplanted CAT engine.  Originally it was a Cummins.  Not aware of any US regular production B's getting a CAT.

A B-71 isn't a set back axle.  But it is a B model with an extended nose.  B-21 fire trucks with Hall Scott power also used an extended hood.

1963 B73 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

Jim

I was thinking that technically calling the "71" a set back axle was not correct.   If a B71 & aB61 both having the same wheel base were side by side with axles centered with each other.  Everything would be in the same place, ( cab, fuel tanks , fenders, steer axle ) other than the radiator would stick out farther,      Correct???  Or is there still a difference?

Correct. 

The dimension from the centerline of the front axle to the back of the cab on your B-71ST is 74 1/2" with a 146 1/2" WB (for example).  A B-61ST with the same WB would also be 74 1/2" CL axle to the back of the cab.

Your B-71 is 38" axle to front bumper.  A B-61 is 27.5" axle to front bumper if utilizing a flush mounted bumper or 33.5" with the extended front bumper.

Everything would line up except the radiator and bumper.

Jim