Maxitorque ES wide range of models and speeds

Just browsing the Mack website and I was surprised and glad to see under the description for the Maxitorque transmission that it comes in 19 models and ranges from  6 speeds up to 18! 

I did not realize that they were so many types of the Mack transmission available especially since Eaton and automatics seem to be more common. What is the take rate for this transmission? 

Despite the popularity of the Eaton and automatics are there still niches that give the Mack transmission an advantage over the others? 

I also thought that the mack transmission was only available in maybe 3 type of speed versions (13, 15,18). Who or what type of application still gets a 6 speed? Does it still give the advantage or the original integrated powertrain high torque rise concept?

Years ago I saw a DM with a 7 spd but thought anything less than that was discontinued.

I saw that on the website too, wonder if it was copied from the old website? IIRC,  the wide ratio transmissions for the Maxidyne engines were dropped a few years ago. That left the 6 speed which makes a good match for the "Maxicruise" tune engines but haven't seen one on a new Mack in years, so it may be gone too. That leaves the 9 and 10 speed 40% ratio spread models, the 13 and 18 speeds, and some 10 speeds with deep low gears like Eaton's ALL series. There was also high torque versions of the 13 and 18 speeds for the MP10 engines, but I suspect they've disappeared along with the MP10s. So they're probably down to a handful of transmission models, available to order only.

The Mack 6 speed is gone from production.  It was nice and lightweight for a class 8 truck, but drive-ability and reliability not so great.

Mack's manual transmission take rate is about 10% of new trucks.

Mack has the most PTO options available and a 10 speeed multi-speed reverse (T310M) that is shiftable through 6 reverse gears.  Otherwise Mack and Eaton match up pretty close with 9/10/13/18 speeds.

The  Mack 10 & 18 Speed is listed here as an option on the Granite Only.

i got a Quote on a granite a couple of Months ago & asked about the Mack Transmission. Salesman looked at me as If I had 2 heads (Be quite Swishy very Quite) he told me that 90-95% of the Macks they sell have the "M drive" The rest were Road ranger & he'd Never Sold a Mack transmission in the 6 yrs He'd been selling Vomacks..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

4 hours ago, Hayseed said:

The  Mack 10 & 18 Speed is listed here as an option on the Granite Only.

i got a Quote on a granite a couple of Months ago & asked about the Mack Transmission. Salesman looked at me as If I had 2 heads (Be quite Swishy very Quite) he told me that 90-95% of the Macks they sell have the "M drive" The rest were Road ranger & he'd Never Sold a Mack transmission in the 6 yrs He'd been selling Vomacks..

Unfortunately Australia tightened up their noise regulations and Mack dropped their manuals from being offered about 6 years ago.  I think you may be able to special request one, but I would hate to know the cost.

In the USA Mack sells mDrive, Allison, Eaton, and Mack T300.  About 20% of trucks still have a stick, the other 80% do not and that number continues to grow.

On 1/7/2018 at 9:34 PM, Jamaican Bulldog said:

Just browsing the Mack website and I was surprised and glad to see under the description for the Maxitorque transmission that it comes in 19 models and ranges from  6 speeds up to 18! 

I did not realize that they were so many types of the Mack transmission available especially since Eaton and automatics seem to be more common. What is the take rate for this transmission? 

Despite the popularity of the Eaton and automatics are there still niches that give the Mack transmission an advantage over the others? 

I also thought that the mack transmission was only available in maybe 3 type of speed versions (13, 15,18). Who or what type of application still gets a 6 speed? Does it still give the advantage or the original integrated powertrain high torque rise concept?

Years ago I saw a DM with a 7 spd but thought anything less than that was discontinued.

There used to be 20 models until 2-3 years back but now T306G, TM308, T308M, TM309 & TM309M are no longer available in production. Current models available T309, T309LR, T310, T310M, T310MLR, T310ME, T310ME21, T313, T313LR, T313 21, T313LR21, T318, T318LR, T318 21 & T318LR21.

On 1/10/2018 at 10:29 AM, jkruss82 said:

Unfortunately Australia tightened up their noise regulations and Mack dropped their manuals from being offered about 6 years ago.  I think you may be able to special request one, but I would hate to know the cost.

In the USA Mack sells mDrive, Allison, Eaton, and Mack T300.  About 20% of trucks still have a stick, the other 80% do not and that number continues to grow.

Was the drop in demand for Mack Transmission due to cost or was quality a factor? Someone told me years ago that a mack transmission was $2000 more than a Eaton.

8 hours ago, kt_Engineer said:

There used to be 20 models until 2-3 years back but now T306G, TM308, T308M, TM309 & TM309M are no longer available in production. Current models available T309, T309LR, T310, T310M, T310MLR, T310ME, T310ME21, T313, T313LR, T313 21, T313LR21, T318, T318LR, T318 21 & T318LR21.

I guessing the numbers indicate the speeds and 'LR' indicate low range but what did  M, MLR, and ME in the series number indicate?

On 1/12/2018 at 1:24 PM, Jamaican Bulldog said:

I guessing the numbers indicate the speeds and 'LR' indicate low range but what did  M, MLR, and ME in the series number indicate?

L indicates box has an Extra LOW  gear in It, & R is for an extra Low reverse.

The LR version is the one I'm interested in..

N.F.I. What either the "M" or "E" signify

Edited by Hayseed

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

On 1/11/2018 at 2:29 AM, jkruss82 said:

Unfortunately Australia tightened up their noise regulations and Mack dropped their manuals from being offered about 6 years ago

Not trying to Be Rude Mate,

But the few Mack triple countershaft gearboxs I've stirred over the years haven't been any noisier than any other Truck Transmission I've owned (or Driven)

So the above statement has me a Little perplexed.  Just saying..

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

On 1/12/2018 at 5:48 AM, Swishy said:

Seed m80

RE: Salesman looked at me as If I had 2 head

U may need 2 heads drive n a french poodle Mack

at that hi altitude 2 heads bettr than one if  n U get air sik

LOL

Right now B a good time to show your poodle

mack_magnum_1999.jpg

cya

§wishy

I Thought I told you to be "VERY" quite....:thumb:

Seeing as you asked nicely...

SANY2235.thumb.JPG.6cb8f48d41e6a26d0a30a19f9c2ef69f.JPG

Well the sign says It's a MACK...:wub:

Edited by Hayseed

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

On 1/11/2018 at 9:24 PM, Jamaican Bulldog said:

M is multi-speed reverse transmission (not range shift speeds but speeds in reverse where you select the reverse switch and then shift the stick as you would do going forward and picking up vehicle speed). So T310M has 10 forward speeds and 6 Reverse speeds. T310MLR will have multiple reverse speeds with creeper gear in forward (27.31:1) and reverse is 23.96:1. T310ME is extended output shaft with more clearance for rear counter-shaft mounted PTO's. T310ME21 is extended range that can be matched with 2100lb-ft torque producing engines.

Edited by kt_Engineer
sentence correction
  • Like 2

Last spring we spec out a granite with a 18 speed mack and a granite with a 13 speed M drive . The M drive was 7k more than the maxitorque I was surprised.  Our mack salesman pushed the mack 18 speed ahead of the M drive but he was a old school mack guy. The last 3 macks we bought (titans) had Eaton 18 speeds with the 2050 rating and we didn't care for them as o e of the eatons blew up at 200k miles .so if we got another mack it would have been a maxitorque or m drive but we ended up with a kenworth as it was cheaper with a cummins x15 than a granite with a 13 liter. We had 18 speed macks in our older macks they were good and rated for 2060 torque even though the engines only had 1560 -1760. 

• Like 1